Gas can/water holder

Bat

After trying to figure out where to put some water or gas and having a nice neighbor teaching me to weld I put this together.
gas holder 00000.jpg

gas holder 00001 (Large).jpg

gas holder 00002.jpg

gas holder 00003 (Large).jpg

I am trying very hard to convince my wife how nice it would be to have a sink, stove, heater,large bed, well you get the picture. All I get is you have spent enough money on that stupid truck:(

I did look to find something to buy and the only thing I could find was something from Aluminess bumper but at $600 I passed, it was the only one that would work on a stock bumper. I figure I have about $100 in it plus the fun factor welding:eek:

I have always liked the custom type, swing out gas racks.

But I don't know of anyone making them anymore ?

A customer last week did show me this company that makes a gas can holder.

I have one in my office and it looks really nice & well build for the price.

Someone on the forums also had one mounted on their camper (I think it was on the back of an ATC). Price is right, about $ 79.00.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/fuel.html

and no, the "AT" does NOT stand for All Terrain (It stands for Adventure Trailers)

:)

I think I'm going ours so the letters on the holder say "FWC"

LOL

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 801
I have one & they do work with the Scepter cans which are now unfortunately no longer available to us civilians. I bolt mine to the bumper to the side of the door when I have my camper on but I'm looking at other solutions.

I came across this which maybe be a good solution.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4251&category_id=334&category_parent_id=

I like that it carries in the hitch, no permanent mounting and for a lot of you that use your vehicle as a daily driver you wouldn't have to lug around the extra weight and risk of theft!
bonus: it also has a hitch receiver built into it so you woudn't lose the ability to carry a bike rack or any other hitch mounted accessories.

John

Like it, double gear tray would be pretty darn sweet.
My shady-boy awning was originally designed for a westfalia and works great on my FWC.

Run frig on propane only and use the heater and cook on the stove top. That tank seems to last forever. For me I would not need a extra tank.(your mileage might vary)

I'll second that. My tank still has 1/4 left and its on its original fill. Although when I use my bbq and lantern that runs on another tank.

I came across this which maybe be a good solution.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4251&category_id=334&category_parent_id=

I like that it carries in the hitch, no permanent mounting and for a lot of you that use your vehicle as a daily driver you wouldn't have to lug around the extra weight and risk of theft!
bonus: it also has a hitch receiver built into it so you woudn't lose the ability to carry a bike rack or any other hitch mounted accessories.

John

:thumb: thanks for posting this. A nice way to carry extra fuel.

Scepter Cans and Mounts

I have one & they do work with the Scepter cans which are now unfortunately no longer available to us civilians. I bolt mine to the bumper to the side of the door when I have my camper on but I'm looking at other solutions.

Attached are pictures of my fuel can mounted to the Grandby. I have a short-box truck, so the camper hangs over the tailgate, so couldn't mount to the truck. I used the Adventure Trailer mount (Very Stout Mount!) and mounted it to the Grandby. I drilled the mounts through the camper frame, removed the ice box and backed the whole thing with a
20" X 14" sheet of 3/16 aluminum plate. With 5 gallons of diesel in the can, I can stand on it, and it doesn't move. Since it's mounted high on the camper, I had to relocate the "porch light" to under the can mount. It works almost as well from the new location as it did up high. OH, Since the can mount covers the FWC decal, maybe I'll run over to ATC and put one of theirs on the door to match the can holder:eek:. Just kidding Stan....

BTW: Scepter cans are available in the US, although expensive (but worth it): check eBay. I found new ones for $75.00. I checked on Canadian "National 4WD" site and they are available there. They state they won't ship any of the Scepter military products out of Canada, but I ordered the Scepter military 3/4" fuel filler from them without any difficulty.

Attachments

• Scepter.jpg
    Scepter.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 543
  • scepter2.jpg
    scepter2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 521
I hope your make the DV Rally

That looks like what I'm want to do. I hope you make the DV rally as I would like to check out your setup. I've been looking at various ways to add 5 (or even 10) gallons of diesel fuel without buying an after market fuel tank which extends below my frame rails.

Here is how I mount mine. A steel plate mount to the bottom of the side of the camper through 4 bolts bolt through the wood. The back side of the can holder is bolted to the jack mount.

261925315_eRxEG-M.jpg

One More Can Mount Option

My can holder is bolted to a plate that is them bolted the truck bed with an additional brace going to the bumper. Pretty sturdy. Seems to work and I can use the steps with the can removed. I can also run a cable through the step and use it to lock the holder and can for additional security.

Attachments

• fuel can holder 2 0021.jpg
    fuel can holder 2 0021.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 443
Back
Top Bottom