Gas Mileage Difference with Camper

I've weighed them: 35 or 40lbs each, I can't remember exactly, so that's 140-160#. Tundra tailgate is 55, so that's an extra ~200# plus wind resistance. That could account for much of the lost extra mileage.

I've weighed them: 35 or 40lbs each, I can't remember exactly, so that's 140-160#. Tundra tailgate is 55, so that's an extra ~200# plus wind resistance. That could account for much of the lost extra mileage.

Hum, maybe back in 2007 when your ATC Bobcat was made they were using different mechanical jacks?

I picked up my 2010 Bobcat shell in early December and here's the company that made the mechanical jacks...

MechanicalJackCompany.jpg

And, here's the weight from the bathroom scale that my wife says is accurate...
I know when I infrequently weigh myself, it's about the same as in the Doc's office.
And, they feel like a 20 lb fish to me.

MechanicalJackWeight.jpg

2010 F150 with 5.4l. On the road right now, so far doing 12-14mpg with truck jam packed with stuff, 2 of us, camper packed full and full water tank, and pulling a roughly 3000lb 5x8 enclosed trailer. We're over gvwr so I'm pretty impressed with the mpg :)

Hum, maybe back in 2007 when your ATC Bobcat was made they were using different mechanical jacks?

I picked up my 2010 Bobcat shell in early December and here's the company that made the mechanical jacks...

MechanicalJackCompany.jpg

And, here's the weight from the bathroom scale that my wife says is accurate...
I know when I infrequently weigh myself, it's about the same as in the Doc's office.
And, they feel like a 20 lb fish to me.

MechanicalJackWeight.jpg

Man, looks just like mine, but I could swear they weighed out more. Maybe a newer model? Maybe I'm just wrong. I'll check mine next time they are off the camper.

Man, looks just like mine, but I could swear they weighed out more. Maybe a newer model? Maybe I'm just wrong. I'll check mine next time they are off the camper.

Had a chance to weigh my jacks- 29# each. They weighed a little more when you put all 4 on the scale together. Bathroom scales are meant to weigh people and aren't very accurate at low weights. So, I weighed myself, then myself with one jack and subtracted. Got 29#. It weighed 26# on the scale alone.

So I guess my older jacks weighed a little more. Either way, taking them off saves about 100#.

I think the aerodynamics would hurt more than the 100 lbs. at highway speeds. I'm going to start pulling mine off for extended trips. The camper is plenty stable without them and I won't be removing it (the camper) while out on trips. Besides, they just increase the width of the rig when you are on brushy two tracks.

Gil

Back
Top Bottom