Geezer Pass acquired

Foy

Resident Geologist
Last week I ventured out to our city's water supply reservoir, Falls Lake, a Corps of Engineers water and flood control project. At the COE Visitor Center I stepped into a line of geezers getting their passes. It took about a minute per geezer--well--two for some particularly feeble ones. I'm not saying how long it took me.

I may get a chance to use it down in Congaree NP in South Carolina on 8/21 as it's towards the center line of the path of totality. We'll load up the truck and plan on spending the day in traffic.

Now, to get on the road and get more out of that pass!

Foy

My pass is getting worn, numbers hard to read. Going to get a spare for $10.00 when I get to Crater Lake on Aug 20. Cheap insurance if you ever loose your geezer pass.

Mr. Foy, a big congrats on getting your geezer card! :)

The Lady is counting the days until she gets hers. It will still be a bargain at $80.

We stopped in at the Mono Lake Visitors Center this afternoon and picked up a $10 spare for me. I just could not resist. :)

ski3pin said:
Mr. Foy, a big congrats on getting your geezer card! :)

The Lady is counting the days until she gets hers. It will still be a bargain at $80.

We stopped in at the Mono Lake Visitors Center this afternoon and picked up a $10 spare for me. I just could not resist. :)
Yes, my own child bride must wait a bit and hers will be $80, as well, and certainly a bargain.

I like the frequently-quoted idea of picking up a spare before the end of next week. Cheap insurance!

Foy

I thought I was the only smart one here when my wife got her backup card ;) Oh well we are all wrong once in awhile ;) :)

That said even at the new upgraded price for lifetime access it's still a deal. Until my wife got hers I did not know the pass was good at Corps of Engineer Parks too that is where we got hers.

Stalking Light said:
It wouldn't surprise me if some 'enterprising' geezers went around buying up $10 passes and then start selling them on ebay for $50 once the price goes up. ;)
Protocols that folks at information desks are directed to follow are to inspect the drivers license (picture ID) to verify identity and age and to have the new pass holder sign the back of the card in their presence.

In the big picture, I suspect us geezers are among the most law abiding folks around. :)

Welcome to the geezer club!!I told my wife that all I wanted for my 62nd birthday was a geezer pass and chili for dinner, which she happily obliged me with. Best present ever. BTW, we have a FS Ranger Station in Nevada City and I was able to pick up my pass there with no wait. Good idea to get a replacement pass as my #s are getting harder to see.

ski3pin said:
Protocols that folks at information desks are directed to follow are to inspect the drivers license (picture ID) to verify identity and age and to have the new pass holder sign the back of the card in their presence.

In the big picture, I suspect us geezers are among the most law abiding folks around. :)
I used to sell passes, so I know the protocol - but it doesn't always get followed and it's easy enough to 'erase' the signature (I've had to re sign my pass several times because my sig wore off). That said, I meant my previous post mostly as a joke but I'd be willing to bet you'd find at least one on ebay anyway. ;)

My wife and I picked up senior passes a few weekends ago at Harper's Ferry National Historical Park in West Virginia. We then spent the day tracing some family Civil War history in that area and at nearby Antietam National Battlefield.

Also- There's a new annual senior pass going into effect with the price change. $20 per year and four expired ones can be traded for a lifetime pass. (See the answer to the question 'What if a senior citizen is on a fixed budget?' on this NPS web page)

It's also interesting to see the first part of the answer to the question 'I'm having trouble getting a senior pass. What's being done to address this?'....

"Our public lands and the USGS website that sells Senior Passes have been overwhelmed with requests to purchase Senior Passes—more than 250,000 online and mail in applications so far this year, compared to the previous high of 33,000 passes in one year." (and then goes on to answer the question)....

And this USGS Store website says there's currently a 12-week backlog for mail-in requests.

Stalking Light said:
I used to sell passes, so I know the protocol - but it doesn't always get followed and it's easy enough to 'erase' the signature (I've had to re sign my pass several times because my sig wore off). That said, I meant my previous post mostly as a joke but I'd be willing to bet you'd find at least one on ebay anyway. ;)
I know you are right, Charlie. It just disappoints to see these kinds of scams.

If you want to get one and aren't sure where,go to the USGS store web site and search FAQ then "senior pass"where to but.
Find your state and search a location that fits you.
Happy Geezering.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom