Geezers -> For A Good Time, Call

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
“Call 202-762-1401 today, and you’ll hear a pleasant ticking sound followed by the announcement of the exact time, delivered in an old-timey-broadcasting voice.”
Yup, it’s the real thing. The US Naval Observatory

ski3pin said:
Julie and I will stop by the thrift store, pick up an old rotary dial phone, and give the number a call! :)
If you can find one. I haven't seen an actual rotary dial phone (as apposed to a button phone disguised as a dial phone) for a long time.

I have one that I grabbed from my grandparents house after they died... even has the bakelite handle that weighs a ton.

I have the wall mount, dial phone my Dad had in the backyard garage that I used to talk to my friends with. Not sure what to do with it, but I have it.

PokyBro said:
I have the wall mount, dial phone my Dad had in the backyard garage that I used to talk to my friends with. Not sure what to do with it, but I have it.
We (my sister) still have the crank phone that was on the family ranch.

That was a trip to the past. I called the number, and I swear to goodness it’s the exact same voice I used to hear announce the time decades ago. When I was a kid, one of my relatives had one of those big portable AM/FM/Shortwave transistor radios he kept in his camp trailer. What I remember was the tick tick tick, and the time announced every minute. That and the real BBC news.

Seriously, thank you for sharing and mentally taking me down a couple paths I haven’t been down in a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom