generator and recharging batteries

rfg

Advanced Member
I'm planning on purchasing a generator (either a Honda or Yamaha 2000) for our trip to Alaska this summer. We have found that we can do well with our 220 amp-hour battery and our 100w solar panel using our compressor fridge and our 2 CPAPs (other electrical use is minimal). My concern is with dry camping anywhere from 1 to 7 days where we may be shaded, have cloudy days, and may need to run the furnace. We haven't yet dry camped where the furnace was needed.

What I've read online about recharging batteries with a generator isn't the most clear. It would appear that there are 3 ways to charge using a generator: 1) using AC from the generator and plug into the camper as if I had shore power and let the camper's converter handle the charging; 2) use DC from the generator; and 3) plug a battery charger into the generator and use it to charge the batteries. So, what is the preferred method and why?

Also, any input on using propane with either of these generators? My truck is diesel and the camper, of course, uses propane. I'd rather not carry a third type of fuel without a real good reason.

Thanks.

Hopefully your solar can keep up with your batteries during the summer hours.
If not as you drive your truck there will also be charging to the batteries as well.
The third option is the generator. I would run it through your AC converter in the camper - just plug it in like you would at home.

Your amps from solar depend on your solar setup of course. But you can expect to get:
From truck to camper - up to 15 amps per hour
From generator to camper via AC plug in - up to 25 amps per hour.

The most beneficial time to use the generator is when you are in the shade or night time.

You could also consider converting your generator to propane - then you carry less fuel too.

All of my readings are from my trimetric. You can reference them through this thread if you want too:
Measured FWC power use
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9301-measured-fwc-power-use/

I don't know how your Outfitter electrical system is set up, but on the FWC, my recommendation would be to just plug the generator into the camper as you would shore power. The FWC has a 30 amp power supply for 12 volts that is a smart charger.

The Outfitter web page says it has a 45 amp AC to DC power supply but on a quick look I didn't see if it acted as a smart charger also. Your camper manual should tell you that.

Anyway, charging your battery with a built-in high power (45 amp) smart charger would take much less generator run time (and fuel) than using the 8 amp dumb charger port on the generator and would be better for the battery as well.

Paul

I'm very happy with my Honda 2000i companion generator/inverter. It can be easily connected with a second unit if need be, and that makes it more functional for use around our home.

I just bring a Schumacher battery charger along and plug it directly in to the generator. That way I can select the charging rate and get real-time displays of voltage and % charged, plus my charger has settings for standard wet cell, AGM, and gel-call batteries. I am more comfortable with the charger's various settings and information readouts than I am with "blind" charging from the shore power/converter or from the truck's system.

Foy

We just use a Yamaha 1000 for charging the batteries, just as if connected to shore power. It works fine. Your idea to use propane is a good one, but you might consider picking up an extra bottle.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the generators are propane ready (option?).

DrJ said:
Hopefully your solar can keep up with your batteries during the summer hours.
If not as you drive your truck there will also be charging to the batteries as well.
While we'll have 20 or more hours of daylight there's no assurance we'll have a sunny spot or even sunny weather. Hence, the need for a generator.

Driving isn't an option in Denali where we'll be for a week. No driving in the park after the first 15 miles or so.

PaulT said:
Outfitter web page says it has a 45 amp AC to DC power supply but on a quick look I didn't see if it acted as a smart charger
The Outfitter has a 45 amp Progressive Dynamics that functions as a three stage charger.

I think a portable 100w solar panel to add to your 100w might do the trick. 200w could provide a reasonable charge even when not totally sunny :) Might make your generator more of an emergency deal than an everyday deal....

Wandering Sagebrush said:
We just use a Yamaha 1000 for charging the batteries, just as if connected to shore power. It works fine. Your idea to use propane is a good one, but you might consider picking up an extra bottle.
If I'm not mistaken, some of the generators are propane ready (option?).
It's easy to find either the Honda or the Yamaha that have been converted to tri-fuel (gasoline,propane,or natural gas) by dealers. I'm leaning toward the Yamaha becaus the dealer I'm considering stresses that the conversion doesn't invalidate the warranty.

Happyjax said:
I think a portable 100w solar panel to add to your 100w might do the trick. 200w could provide a reasonable charge even when not totally sunny :) Might make your generator more of an emergency deal than an everyday deal....
I have considered that option but I think I would still need the generator if I was faced with a string of cloudy days in one spot.

Back
Top Bottom