Generator in FWC Propane Compartment?

JJ1

Advanced Member
Anyone know if the FWC propane compartment is big enough to hold a Honda EU2000 sized generator? I'm thinking of ways to secure the generator...and since a propane tank costs a lot less, it might make sense to move the tanks from the compartment to a mount on the back of camper, and then use that compartment for the generator. This would also bring the advantage of being able to use a standard 20lbs propane tank that you can swap out at a gas station, instead of looking for a propane refill station.

Nice idea. Never thought about it using it that way.
I'm pretty happy with my solar setup so I don't often need a generator.
I've always assumed that guys just carried a generator in the truck or camper if they needed one.
My truck now charges my camper at 12-15 amps when it's really depleted. The 110 power charges faster than that at up to 25-30 amps an hour, so it would be faster. But once they reach a portion of the bulk charging it's about the same.
I own a 2000 watt Honda and it works great with this system. Send some pictures of your setup when you do it.

When I used to carry by Honda E2000 I just closed off the gas cap and carried it as far forward on the floor of my All Terrain Camper Bobcat.

I've since remodeled my interior from an all electric camper to one that has a horizontal propane tank for the stove & furnace, still on 12 VDC compressor fridge powered by a solar panel.

Just looking at the horizontal propane tank locker that ATC sent me to install, there would be no way that my Honda E2000 would fit inside there. The locker is not tall enough, nor long enough.

Thanks for the replies.

DrJ - I'm going to have a/c and maybe even a small microwave sometimes, depending on the kind of trip we're taking...so the generator will be important for those times.

Alley-Kat - I was afraid that would be the case, and FWC's lockers are probably the same or very similar. (Can anyone confirm?) Putting it inside is obviously doable but I'd like something that doesn't require it being moved to use it, and where it won't be sitting in the open during use...like if we're overnighting in a parking lot en route. And I'm trying to save the cost of a custom fab job.

I don't have A/C in my Grandby, but I do have a built in microwave, a 1.5KW Inverter, and an Engel compressor 12v/110v refer. I have solar and 2 group 31 batteries which run everything. Been parked 7 days with the solar keeping the batteries up just fine. I carried a generator for over a year, never using even once. It now resides in my travel trailer where it actually gets used occasionally. Unless that A/C is really necessary, with an adequate solar system, a generator is just extra weight.

The propane compartment on my FWC Fleet is approximately 17-1/2" deep and the opening is 17-1/2" tall by 10-1/2" wide. I don't know if it is the same on the larger campers, but I'd guess so as this has the two 10# tanks like the others.

The EU2000i is 20.1" x 11.4" x 16.7" so it looks like the compartment is just a bit too small. K6ON, some of our trips will be in the Southeast during summers...a/c is a must if I expect the wife to come along! And the more she comes, the more often we'll get out. Good to hear that solar is enough to support your microwave use, though. About how many watts is it?

I'd like to see an a/c model that could be installed and removed easily based on the trip. There are a couple models in Europe but I don't think anything reasonable is sold in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom