Geology of Mariscal mine (Big Bend National Park)

Old Crow

Searching....
My wife and I have been in the Big Bend area of Texas a few times and I believe many WTW members have been there.

One of the interesting places in Big Bend National Park is the Mariscal mine. There's a backcountry campsite nearby called 'Fresno'. We camped there in March of 2010. We wandered about the mine site but didn't have much info about what we were seeing.

We were back in Big Bend this winter. We didn't go to the mine this time but since our return, we've been watching a few YouTube videos about the park. I suppose the point of that is to see what we missed.

Anyway, the video below popped up on my YouTube feed a few days ago and I think it's a good one.

Our guide is Jackie and at first she seems like just another tourist visiting the mine. But then she provides a surprising amount of history and geological detail. And she tells the story in an interesting and entertaining way.

Also:
More info on the mine from the National Park Service

PS - if you like Jackie's style, check out her YouTube channel. I'm surprised to see she only has 271 subscribers given the quality of her videos.

Thanks for the link.That's a great story about the mines.
In the area of California I live ,Monterey Bay,there are areas of Cinnabar
that has been mined up till 50 or so years ago.

One mine is near the company town of New Idria. SE of the Pinnacles NP.
This was a full functioning town.Schools/stores everything a small town would have.
It just sits there now closed after about 50 years since mining had stopped.

The area at one time was open to off road 4 and 2 wheeled vehicles.Now closed due
to the toxic leftovers of mining..

Thanks again.
Frank

Old Crow said:
Our guide is Jackie and at first she seems like just another tourist visiting the mine. But then she provides a surprising amount of history and geological detail. And she tells the story in an interesting and entertaining way.

PS - if you like Jackie's style, check out her YouTube channel. I'm surprised to see she only has 271 subscribers given the quality of her videos.
She now has 272 subscribers. Thanks for the link Old Crow.

Back
Top Bottom