Getting close...

Bignosecitrus

We, wife Daydre' and dog Citrus (a big nosed German Shepard) are anxiously awaiting our departure for Sacramento to mount the new Cougar on the mighty 2002 Ford Superduty. I say mighty because my largest truck in the past has been a 98 F150 short bed which was light and nifty to drive however the 02 diesel is more like a locomotive. Oddly enough they get the same fuel milage - 20 mpg driven at 65 mph.

Anyway, Marty tells me ATC is on schedual for completion between the 25th and the end of the month.
It has been a different build for the guys as I specified that the camper have two 110v systems. One for pure shore power and the other for 12v inverter system that can charge either by the truck running, shore power or solar panels. We have a cabin (18' trailer w/ add on of 350 sq ft) Lopez Island that has been my learning experience. Briefly the lessons are: get as much battery as you can afford, and or have significant recharging capabilities, use an inverter of at least 1000 watts so you cam operate a small tool like a drill or recharge battery tools. You never know when you might want to add something else to your system. And be sure to have the ability to "condition" the battery bank to prevent sulphate crystal accumulation between plates.

I am using two 12v Lifeline batteries, very expensive but at 72lbs each should last a very long time if treated well. A Xantrex inverter / charge controller of 1800watts with 40 amp charging on shore power.
When we get to the solar charging we will use Unisolar 68watt thin film panels that can be rolled up and stowed away (when needed they can be unrolled on the ground). The solar charge controller will be a Morningstar 30 amp unite with 4 stage charging (includes a conditioning stage).

This arrangement allows us to use common 110v accessories, lights and refer. So there is more wiring than usual in the Cougar. For heat we will be using a Wave 6 catalytic propane heater, tried it out in the cabin and performance was very good with very little propane use.

Very excited to see how it all works... ATC is also enthusiastic to work with the concept.

Chris and Daydre'

Congrats on the new camper. I'll be stopping by ATC in next couple days, will be interesting to see your build in progress. If I remember, I'll shoot a picture and post it here if you'd like.

Chris
Here's a couple pictures of your new camper...just about all done. According to Marty it just needs the roof rack installed and a couple other small items. It looks great, I'm sure you'll have a great time with the camper.

I'm curious as to why you felt you needed two separate AC systems, one for shore power and one for the inverter.
I wired a 1.5KW inverter in my old FWC and just re-arranged a couple of the AC circuits and added a transfer relay. When shore power is lost, all the outlets are auto-transferred to the inverter, while the charger/converter, and Engel refer are not. I added the inverter to run a microwave I built into the closet in the Grandby. Everything works just great and doesn't require changing outlets to run something from the inverter. I also have 100 watts of solar to help keep the batteries up when parked.

Congrats on the new camper !!

Attachments

• Cougar-1.jpg
    Cougar-1.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Cougar-2.jpg
    Cougar-2.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 205
Wow, Thanks so much for the photos, As to the two 110v circuits the orange outlets are for shore power and the white for shore/inverter - just a kind of redundancy in case the inverter/charger goes out (I will also carey a spare 800w inverter and seperate charger... many years of fishing in Dutch Harbor, Alaska made me a spare and redundancy freak.

Please note the floral pattern curtains... very important to involve the wife!!!

thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

It is looking good. I understand how you feel waiting to pick it up. Good of you to involve the wife. I'm sure you both will really enjoy your camper. What are the four strap tie downs(?) by the rear window for?

The tie downs are for... I don't know yet... four more on the other side also. I figured that if ATC put them on it wouldn't be me drilling the holes and missing... never get it right the first time.

chris

I like the idea of the tie downs. Maybe next time I'll do something similar, some sort of metal rails mounted horizontally above and below the window for attaching hardware. When are you going to show us some pictures of Citrus and his big schnoz? Enjoy the camper.

Back
Top Bottom