Getting in camper when off truck

Doff

Advanced Member
This has probably been covered before…

Is it safe to get in/ out of the camper once it is off loaded from the truck and lowered to the ground?

FWC has long advised not using camper off the truck. The wood tub is stapled to the aluminum frame. The bottom of the camper would need to be fully supported, saw horses that could carry the weight, with a sheet of plywood, 3/4" plywood X's and a full sheet, dolly, or trailer. Think of the camper fully load and having the tub break away in the back country. "High risk low reward" Jacks won't lower camper all the way, maybe 1' from surface

I would only use the camper off the truck if the floor was fully supported with a strong flat surface and it was anchored to prevent tipping forward. I just finished building a storage dolly for my new camper for winter. I built it 9 feet long to extend the front wheels out in front a bit to positively prevent tipping. I have to load and unload outside of the garage where the camper will be stored and have to winch it up a small ramp into the garage.

The Rieco Titan 2000# jacks that came with my Grandby retract until about 1 inch of the lower tube remains showing, or a total length of 30 inches below the bottom of the attachment bracket. My Grandby is roughly 24 inches from the bottom of the jack brackets to the bottom surface of the wood strips on the bottom of the camper. So it should be able to be lowered to about 6 inches above the floor.

Attachments

• 3BB92DBA-2C0A-4EAA-9260-5E3444C10EA0.jpeg
    3BB92DBA-2C0A-4EAA-9260-5E3444C10EA0.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 75
What about just getting in and out of the camper when its off the truck to load/ unload items?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom