Ghost Town Tour

JeffB

After visiting Bodie and a few other remnants of towns in Ca, my kids are really intrigued by the whole concept. Want to put together a Ghost Town road trip for a few weeks this summer. Based in Norcal and was thinking of heading to the southwest: AZ, NV, UT, NM and maybe CO. Anyone ever done anything like this before? how many did you string together? Any trip reports?

Scarwee stuff all those ghost towns....but a great way to organize a trip on the same trails taken by early residents.

During college I made a car camping trip out from Virginia and ended up at Bodie somehow. Even tho I was driving an overloaded beater BMW 1600 I left Bodie eastward and wound down through the mountains and across a lot of outback Nevada.

They would proably have found the car before they found me had I run into trouble.

Enjoy your trip

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Scarwee stuff all those ghost towns....but a great way to organize a trip on the same trails taken by early residents.

During college I made a car camping trip out from Virginia and ended up at Bodie somehow. Even tho I was driving an overloaded beater BMW 1600 I left Bodie eastward and wound down through the mountains and across a lot of outback Nevada.

They would proably have found the car before they found me had I run into trouble.

Enjoy your trip

David Graves
That's a great idea on how to organize....will take a look.

This website is a place to start. I've been to Nelson, NV and it is sort of a tourist area but the buildings are well preserved, lots of antiques out in the yards, great place for photography. Looking forward to exploring more in AZ but most seem to be nothing more than foundations now.

JeffB said:
After visiting Bodie and a few other remnants of towns in Ca, my kids are really intrigued by the whole concept. Want to put together a Ghost Town road trip for a few weeks this summer. Based in Norcal and was thinking of heading to the southwest: AZ, NV, UT, NM and maybe CO. Anyone ever done anything like this before? how many did you string together? Any trip reports?
A campground right in a real ghost town? Silver City Idaho is an excellent choice, with plenty of BLM land also available for boondocking. But the dirt road there is usually closed off for the long winters. Over 6000' elevation, it's not on the way to anywhere!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_City,_Idaho

Bannack, Montana is an exceptionally well-preserved gold boom ghost town which was briefly the original capital of Montana Territory in 1861-62. It is a state park now and there is a small campground in the willows and cottonwoods on Grasshopper Creek right on the edge of town.

Garnet, Montana is another gem (pun intended) as is Coolidge, Montana.

Foy

thanks, this is great info. I like the silver city idea...could be a good starting point for Id and MT. Heard Virginia City MT, is a toursty one but pretty cool. My kids are only 4 and 6 so they love that kind fo stuff.

Here are a few from Bodie and our campsite down 395 off of the scenic route 20170903_113600.jpgIMG_20170904_172544_917.jpg20170903_111635.jpgIMG_20170904_172645_736.jpg

JeffB said:
thanks, this is great info. I like the silver city idea...could be a good starting point for Id and MT. Heard Virginia City MT, is a toursty one but pretty cool. My kids are only 4 and 6 so they love that kind fo stuff.
If you're expanding into MT, for sure put Virginia City on the route map, along with Granite, right outside of (and 3,000' above) Philipsburg. Virginia City was the second capital of Montana Territory, having landed the designation with their placer gold boom proved bigger than Bannack's. It's touristy, but with kids the ages of yours, that's probably OK. Ice cream and candy stores are among the touristy elements.

In fact, with the kids in mind, see what being in Bannack for the 3rd weekend in July looks like. Bannack Days is an annual weekend celebration of Montana's frontier heritage. Saturday and Sunday start with a sourdough pancake breakfast served in the Hotel Meade, re-enactors in full period costume walk the streets and hold court in the Mason's Lodge, the saloon, the blacksmith shop, etc. Others present period-correct US Cavalry uniforms, kit, and weapons. Modern day surveyors re-enact the establishment of Montana's Public Lands Survey System (the square grid system envisioned by Thomas Jefferson to divide up and dole out lands acquired in the Louisiana Purchase), Home made pies and cakes are on sale in the bakery (get the strawberry-rhubarb!), and a genuine chuckwagon owner brings his family's rig and they produce delights of all sorts from the broadest array of Dutch Ovens you'll ever see. And last, but not least, there's an Old West shootout between the Sheriff and some bad guys right on the dirt Main Street.

Back over in Granite, no touristy trappings, but some well-preserved structures, some ruins, some mining headframes and such. Philipsburg is a great place for the kids with--you guessed it--fudge and candy shops. Camping and a nice shower house is available at the Phlipsburg Inn just 3 blocks from downtown.

Foy

Took the MT, WY and ID recommendations from this thread and mapped it out. Assuming my wife and kids fly to SLC and I meet them there with the FWC, and gear. Looks like its about 21 hours driving SLC to SLC, pretty good for a week to 10 day trip!

SLC
Carter
South Pass City
Virginia City
Bannack
Granite
Silver City
SLC

Will likely be able to squeeze in a stop in Jackson, West Yellowstone or Big Sky too!

Anyone have any good rec's close to these spots on either BLM or NFS land for camping? There is a plethora around there so shouldn't be hard to find.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 12.50.31 PM.png

There are two BLM campgrounds just outside of Atlantic City, itself right outside of South Pass City (but on the Atlantic side, get it?). Both are primitive with just water and vault toilets IIRC. But, both offer some shade and are fairly high in elevation, so reasonably cool all summer. Reasonably.

You may hook a left at Henry's Lake, ID on the way to Virginia City, cut through part of the most awesome Centennial Valley, then north to the Ruby River drainage to Cottonwood CG, with a great number of disbursed sites in the Ruby drainage. Leaving Cottonwood CG to the north brings you out at Alder, just up the road from VC by a few miles. Fuel up at Island Park if you are considering this 60-70 mile no-services gravel road route paralleling US 20/US 287/MT 287. Closer to the main road are NF CGs at Wade Lake and Cliff Lake, themselves maybe an hour's drive short of VC.

Up towards Granite/Philipsburg are a number of CGs around Georgetown Lake--nice but crowded and with lots of motorboat activity on this rare large piece of flat water. A NF CG lies along the headwaters of Flint Creek between the Lake and Philipsburg. Or you might consider jumping over to the west of Philipsburg into Rock Creek for a 41 mile, 3 to 4 hour stroll through a beautiful forested canyon alongside a blue ribbon trout stream. There are a good half dozen or more NF CGs along Rock Creek, with Bitterroot Flat, Harry's Flat, and The Dalles among my favorites. At the Dalles is a suspension footbridge crossing the creek accessing a small wilderness area and it's likely the kids would like that. The northern end of Rock Creek Rd dumps out on I-90 at Clinton, MT, maybe 20 miles west of Drummond and not far from the southern access to Garnet.

From Garnet back to Bannack, I'd take MT 1 back through Philipsburg to Anaconda, but there take MT 569 south over the Continental Divide to MT 43 west of Wise River. MT 569 isn't a superhighway, but it's all paved and it's totally scenic. We always seem to see a ton of wildlife between the Divide and MT 43--moose, mule deer, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, etc. Go east on MT 43 to Wise River, then south onto the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway. The Byway is around 60 miles of very smooth paved parkway going up to the headwaters of the Wise River, over a knockout plateau, past a free quartz crystal digging site (Crystal Park), past a rustic natural hot spring resort (Elkhorn Hot Spring), and back down the Grasshopper Creek drainage to MT 278 around 20 miles from Bannack. If you're considering Bannack during Bannack Days, I'd be checking on CG reservations pronto. I suspect they fill up quickly. If not camping there, it's a good 15-20 miles in most any direction to either NF CGs or disbursed camping areas.

If you route this way, and especially if you route to Lemhi Pass leaving Bannack as discussed below, you'll want to fuel in Anaconda and top off in Wise River. To the best of my knowledge, there is no fuel beyond Bannack until you reach either Salmon or Leadore, ID in that direction, Lima, MT over on I-15 south of Dillon, or Dillon itself.

Leaving Bannack for Silver City, look at routing south down Bannack Bench Road (graded gravel) for about 15 miles to MT 324, enjoy a few miles of pavement past Grant (no services) to the gravel road leading to Lemhi Pass, where Lewis and Clark first crossed the Divide. There is a nice kiosk with lots of historical info there. Descending the ID side via Warm Springs Rd (NOT Agency Creek Rd, which has warning signs a the pass advising of steepness), you pass directly by Sharkey's Hot Spring. Sharkey's is a very nice low-key BLM facility with the natural hot springs piped into two sizable concrete tubs/small pools, concrete aprons, nice changing rooms, and nice bathrooms. Nominal fee required. From Sharkey's it's an easy graded gravel descent to ID 28 south of Salmon, where you can either get back S --SE to I-15/ US 20 or go N to Salmon, then S along US 93 through the Salmon River canyon through Challis.

Though it's not a ghost town, you're passing right by Craters of the Moon NM at Arco, ID. There is a CG and the NM is pretty awesome with lava tubes as high as a house, cinder cones, spatter cones, etc. It appears as though the smoke just cleared from the eruptions, and in July when it's 100 deg F and you're surrounded by jet black basalt, it feels like it,too Ask me how I know.

Enjoy!

Foy

WOW.....great info, thanks for sharing! Going to add the potential camp spots to my route/map too.

Foy said:
There are two BLM campgrounds just outside of Atlantic City, itself right outside of South Pass City (but on the Atlantic side, get it?). Both are primitive with just water and vault toilets IIRC. But, both offer some shade and are fairly high in elevation, so reasonably cool all summer. Reasonably.

You may hook a left at Henry's Lake, ID on the way to Virginia City, cut through part of the most awesome Centennial Valley, then north to the Ruby River drainage to Cottonwood CG, with a great number of disbursed sites in the Ruby drainage. Leaving Cottonwood CG to the north brings you out at Alder, just up the road from VC by a few miles. Fuel up at Island Park if you are considering this 60-70 mile no-services gravel road route paralleling US 20/US 287/MT 287. Closer to the main road are NF CGs at Wade Lake and Cliff Lake, themselves maybe an hour's drive short of VC.

Up towards Granite/Philipsburg are a number of CGs around Georgetown Lake--nice but crowded and with lots of motorboat activity on this rare large piece of flat water. A NF CG lies along the headwaters of Flint Creek between the Lake and Philipsburg. Or you might consider jumping over to the west of Philipsburg into Rock Creek for a 41 mile, 3 to 4 hour stroll through a beautiful forested canyon alongside a blue ribbon trout stream. There are a good half dozen or more NF CGs along Rock Creek, with Bitterroot Flat, Harry's Flat, and The Dalles among my favorites. At the Dalles is a suspension footbridge crossing the creek accessing a small wilderness area and it's likely the kids would like that. The northern end of Rock Creek Rd dumps out on I-90 at Clinton, MT, maybe 20 miles west of Drummond and not far from the southern access to Garnet.

From Garnet back to Bannack, I'd take MT 1 back through Philipsburg to Anaconda, but there take MT 569 south over the Continental Divide to MT 43 west of Wise River. MT 569 isn't a superhighway, but it's all paved and it's totally scenic. We always seem to see a ton of wildlife between the Divide and MT 43--moose, mule deer, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, etc. Go east on MT 43 to Wise River, then south onto the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway. The Byway is around 60 miles of very smooth paved parkway going up to the headwaters of the Wise River, over a knockout plateau, past a free quartz crystal digging site (Crystal Park), past a rustic natural hot spring resort (Elkhorn Hot Spring), and back down the Grasshopper Creek drainage to MT 278 around 20 miles from Bannack. If you're considering Bannack during Bannack Days, I'd be checking on CG reservations pronto. I suspect they fill up quickly. If not camping there, it's a good 15-20 miles in most any direction to either NF CGs or disbursed camping areas.

If you route this way, and especially if you route to Lemhi Pass leaving Bannack as discussed below, you'll want to fuel in Anaconda and top off in Wise River. To the best of my knowledge, there is no fuel beyond Bannack until you reach either Salmon or Leadore, ID in that direction, Lima, MT over on I-15 south of Dillon, or Dillon itself.

Leaving Bannack for Silver City, look at routing south down Bannack Bench Road (graded gravel) for about 15 miles to MT 324, enjoy a few miles of pavement past Grant (no services) to the gravel road leading to Lemhi Pass, where Lewis and Clark first crossed the Divide. There is a nice kiosk with lots of historical info there. Descending the ID side via Warm Springs Rd (NOT Agency Creek Rd, which has warning signs a the pass advising of steepness), you pass directly by Sharkey's Hot Spring. Sharkey's is a very nice low-key BLM facility with the natural hot springs piped into two sizable concrete tubs/small pools, concrete aprons, nice changing rooms, and nice bathrooms. Nominal fee required. From Sharkey's it's an easy graded gravel descent to ID 28 south of Salmon, where you can either get back S --SE to I-15/ US 20 or go N to Salmon, then S along US 93 through the Salmon River canyon through Challis.

Though it's not a ghost town, you're passing right by Craters of the Moon NM at Arco, ID. There is a CG and the NM is pretty awesome with lava tubes as high as a house, cinder cones, spatter cones, etc. It appears as though the smoke just cleared from the eruptions, and in July when it's 100 deg F and you're surrounded by jet black basalt, it feels like it,too Ask me how I know.

Enjoy!

Foy

JeffB said:
WOW.....great info, thanks for sharing! Going to add the potential camp spots to my route/map too.
+1 - Foy, you shooore you don't live out west? I haven't seen most of the place you mention, but agree on all the ones you do. Wow.

Southwest Colorado has some amazing mining history. Visit Silverton for a somewhat living example. Most of the buildings are from old mining days.

When you did Bodie did you take the tour with the guide in period costume? If not go back and ask for that tour. Makes it that much more special. We had a woman dressed in a bell dress acting as the superintendents wife. We were all prospective employees. Don't be the last to be picked for a job or you'll be working the mercury tables.

Did not take the guided tour, but that sounds pretty cool. Will have to make a trip back for that! It was close to 100 degrees when we were there so shade was the name of the game that afternoon.

ETAV8R said:
Southwest Colorado has some amazing mining history. Visit Silverton for a somewhat living example. Most of the buildings are from old mining days.

When you did Bodie did you take the tour with the guide in period costume? If not go back and ask for that tour. Makes it that much more special. We had a woman dressed in a bell dress acting as the superintendents wife. We were all prospective employees. Don't be the last to be picked for a job or you'll be working the mercury tables.

Vic Harder said:
+1 - Foy, you shooore you don't live out west? I haven't seen most of the place you mention, but agree on all the ones you do. Wow.
. Nah, Vic, just a reformed field geologist who has lived in NC for 52 out of 62 years to date. But I've visited Southwestern Montana frequently and I rarely forget anything I've seen in the field.

Back
Top Bottom