Giant Rock on Echo Summit

pvstoy

Big rock closed HWY 50 on the way up to the pass on Echo Summit. Short clip of it being blown up from CHP.

It has the sound with the player, I had to turn up the volume to hear it.

120259-aa95c45b-45db-4180-a57a-fc55e39dfd98.jpeg

Now that is extreme bioturbation! From a mass wasting lump to gravel in a couple of milliseconds!

It has the sound with the player, I had to turn up the volume to hear it.

It is great to have people in the picture to show scale.

Quite impressive!

A great one showing slow motion.

And I'll add the cometary of my friend that passed on the link.

"If you look at the You tube picture of the Echo Summit Rock you will see a thin white line on the hill side of the road. This is the wire that is used to communicate with the first charge in the daisy chain. During the slow motion part of the blast follow that wire and you will first see a small puff of dust when the second Fire In The Hole (a phrase used in the mines) is yelled. From there the individual charge burning goes from the hill side to the cliff side of the rock. This is the design to push the rock apart using the stable base of the mountain as a fulcrum and force the rock toward the area with least resistance. This multiplies the distance (separation) between the sides of the hole as the gasses expand. You might notice that some holes are much deeper than others (the time between a dust cloud and burning gases are seen) This is to make sure that the entire rock is split not just one layer. Finally, watch the falling rocks hit the pavement in front of the camera. The camera is on the weaker side of the blast (Blasts are not even they are focused) and rocks large enough to cause substantial damage are near the camera (what goes up must come down) ."

Back
Top Bottom