Glass Buttes in Central Oregon

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
In a couple of hours I'm headed out to Glass Buttes (75 miles east of Bend, OR, on US 20), for a one-nighter camped on the summit: shoot some photos...read...take naps. There's a great view from the summit (6300') in all directions -- you can see from Steens Mt in the east to the Three Sisters on the crest of the Cascades to the west.
Radio towers and transmitter buildings mare the short-range aesthetics, but there wouldn't be a road to the summit without the radio stuff, so I'm not complaining.
The "glass" in the name means obsidian, and you can't look at the ground without seeing some. I think it's a popular spot for "knappers"...as well as all collectors of obsidian.

If I get any good photos -- my main goal is some 360° QTVR panos -- I'll post them. Besides daytime photos I'm also planning on shooting some tonight -- it's a more-or-less full moon so there'll be plenty of light for that...could be interesting.
There's not currently a geographic "spot" here that covers this location, so maybe I'll just stick any photos back in this thread.

See ya.

I drove by Glass Buttes a few years ago but didn't know there was a road to the top. Are you back with the photos yet, Mark?

Back
Top Bottom