Glenwood Canyon Rock Slide

We've driven that route many times and remember watching the construction of I 70 in Glenwood Canyon. It took many years. I 70 is now an incredible route in the canyon, but alas, the earth does move. Also, when we've going through Glenwood Springs we always stop and pay our respects with a visit to Doc's grave. Thanks for the post and gotta love the Aspen music choice!

GC is 35 miles west of my house. We drove through the canyon @ about 6 PM Sunday night on the return side of a loop we made from Edwards to Carbondale/over mcClure to a friend's place in Cedaredge....then to montrose to pick up a rescue (Golden Retriever) and onto GJ (for the annual Medical Marijuana doctor review/renewal....hooray!) and back up I-70 to Edwards.

There are always rocks coming down in the canyon. A few years ago one scored a direct hit on a vehicle and killed the person inside.

Sunday night it was raining hard when we drove through....

sure is fookin' up the traffic. It's a 4 hour detour up to 40 hwy through Steamboat and about the same delay going 50 through Gunnison.

glad I didn't put off that rescue til monday like we had talked about.

mtn

On the topic of Glenwood Canyon....

If any of you are ever travelling through and want a nice little side hike, take the Hanging Lake trail.

1.5 miles or so...1200 ft vert....a bit icy/sketchy in Winter but usually always hikeable. Gambel, aspen, lodgepole, ponderosa.... and sheer rock walls.

the creek has cut a hole into the rock about 300 ft above the lake and the water shoots out of the side ofm the cliff about 20 ft above yer head. That flow cascades down to another fall that ends in the lake. Emerald colored water...crystal clear. A very popular hike for good reason.

mtn

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 104
  • imagesa.jpg
    imagesa.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 110
Ah, Hanging Lake! Love that place. When I lived in Vail (1978-82), we used to bang out that trail every time we went to Glenwood. Beautiful place. This was back when there was just a two-lane highway through the canyon. Good memories.

Back
Top Bottom