GM Satellite Antenna

Samo

Advanced Member
Anyone have reception with SIRIUS XM Satellite Radio, newer GM W/Shark Fin antenna and a

FWC?

Just wondering if it will even work with the Camper on. :oops:

Attachments

• 06dualbandoutside3tz  Shark fin.jpg
    06dualbandoutside3tz Shark fin.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 186
Anyone have reception with SIRIUS XM Satellite Radio, newer GM W/Shark Fin antenna and a

FWC?

Sorry to rain on your parade but probably not. We had perfect reception on our Ram 2500 till the Hawk went on and then extremely spotty. Since I personally despise running wires in vehicles I went to a local car stereo shop and they put in a new antenna under the hood. Total price 45.00.

Steve

Sorry to rain on your parade but probably not. We had perfect reception on our Ram 2500 till the Hawk went on and then extremely spotty. Since I personally despise running wires in vehicles I went to a local car stereo shop and they put in a new antenna under the hood. Total price 45.00.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Yeah, I thought it might be a long shot. I was looking at a kit that replaces the on-star and gives you a hands free car kit, unfortunately it uses that antenna also.

Our local car audio guy wants $45 an hour.

Sam

Both work fine on mine.
The antenna is near the windshield, well in front of the camper overhang.
2012 2500HD CCSB LTZ with a 2012 Hawk

Both work fine on mine.
The antenna is near the windshield, well in front of the camper overhang.
2012 2500HD CCSB LTZ with a 2012 Hawk

Hey thanks,

That's good news. I'm working with a 06 Sierra and I like having the emergency traffic, weather also, incase I loose my dumb ass phone.

Check out Costartech.com :D

If your antenna is located on the top / front of your truck cab (up on the roof by the windshield), you should be just fine with reception.

But if the antenna is located on the back of your truck cab (up on the roof but located above the rear window of the truck cab), then the antenna reception will be lost.

I think on most all of the Chevy / GMC trucks the antenna(s) are located in the front, so you should be OK.

:)

Attachments

• Chevy 1500 ext cab new.JPG
    Chevy 1500 ext cab new.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Chevy 1500 Crew Cab with Hawk #11.JPG
    Chevy 1500 Crew Cab with Hawk #11.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 169
Edited above post for GM guys - Costartech.com (Cellphone car kit that replaces On-Star)

Thanks, Sam

P.S. Stan, like the GMC Crew Cab pic. Thanks :rolleyes:

Antenna is in a very similar location on my F150 and I have no issues. EXCEPT when I'm a bit further north than where I am now, heading north. It can get a bit spotty, like driving under thick forest canopy. I believe that is because the satellites are geostationary and much further south and the oblique line of sight gets blocked by the camper overhang when facing north. So goes my theory. Not a big deal anyways, really.

FWC?

2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4, no problem with on star at all.

My 03 GMC extended cab with Extend overhang Hawk no problems and the antenna was pretty close to the camper. Now have 05 crew cab is alot further out and no problem.

Very Spotty with a Dodge 2500 MegaCab & a Grandby (Kestrel)... Might have to look at getting a replacement antenna.

Back
Top Bottom