Goal Zero Lithium to roof solar

wm87

So I recently acquired a 2017 swift shell that I am looking to add solar to. I have a goal zero yeti 1000 lithium and renogy 100 eclipse panel that I already have from a previous camping setup. Anyone have any tips on wiring this setup into the shell electrical system.
Can I just connect the red/black solar panel cables to an anderson and then to input on the goal zero? From there could I then run 12v anderson output from the goal zero into my fuse box?
If anyone has any good links for understanding the shell electrical setup that would be great, I've only found tidbits so far searching the forum.

wm87 said:
So I recently acquired a 2017 swift shell that I am looking to add solar to. I have a goal zero yeti 1000 lithium and renogy 100 eclipse panel that I already have from a previous camping setup. Anyone have any tips on wiring this setup into the shell electrical system.
Can I just connect the red/black solar panel cables to an anderson and then to input on the goal zero? From there could I then run 12v anderson output from the goal zero into my fuse box?
If anyone has any good links for understanding the shell electrical setup that would be great, I've only found tidbits so far searching the forum.
Contact Goal Zero. I have a Goal Zero 400 Lithium and the 100W panel they use. The connectors are different. I bought it as back-up for home and as back-up while camping. I can charge it while driving with their 12-volt charging cable. I have 100W solar on the roof, 2 AGM batteries and a Zamp portable, I can plug in.

It sounds like you’ve previously used this panel to charge the Yeti. If this is the case, then what you are suggesting should work. Although, I did not think that the Yeti has Anderson connectors. I thought it had Goal Zeros proprietary connectors.

Dean

wm87 said:
Hi. wm87--

Can you tell us more about your Swift shell? And maybe post a photo of your battery/electrical compartment?

I ask because I see the current spec sheet for a Swift shell shows they come standard with a battery and separator but I also know that wasn't the case until recently (but I don't know how recently). And in this 2014 post, Stan says shells may have a small fuse panel or inline fuses, depending on options ordered. Do you have a fuse panel?

I used to have it all connect with mc4 wiring to the anderson plug on the yeti. I just ordered a mc4 to SAE converted to plug into the roof solar port. It sounds like the FWC SAE port is opposite charges as most so I have to switch the positive and negative going into the SAE port somehow I guess?

My shell has a small fuse box. I've sorted out how to run output of power from the yeti to the fuse box and have power to my roof fan now. For the solar, I pulled apart the solar wiring, there are 3 lines roof panel, rear plug, and batt side. I think the batt side wiring runs to open ended wires where there could have been a battery box. I was just going to connect that to the yeti input and see what happens next.

Also does anyone know what the blue wiring is for? Its not listed on the fuse sticker color coding breakdown

Attachments

• IMG_1113 copy.jpg
    IMG_1113 copy.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 152
I just remembered Stan's excellent video on solar pre-wiring. It explains how the roof and rear-wall solar ports are wired together with Wago Wall-Nut connectors for the run to the controller. And then a run out of the controller to the battery...

https://youtu.be/foHxHYq10Ns

You may want to give some thought to how you want to change polarity (assuming it's needed). A polarity-reversing adapter could be used or you could simply reverse wires at the right place in the run. The adapter doesn't change anything in the camper but has to be robust and waterproofed. Reversing wires can lead to wire-color confusion, particularly if the reversed wires aren't marked (a label-making machine can be used to clearly mark any wires used in a non-obvious manner. Still, it's easy to ignore a label when you're trying to figure something out later on).

Thanks that is a very helpful video. I think I might just try reversing the wires and making sure I label it really well for now and see how that goes. Otherwise I feel like with an adapter there would be lots sticking straight out from the roof.

wm87 said:
Thanks that is a very helpful video. I think I might just try reversing the wires and making sure I label it really well for now and see how that goes. Otherwise I feel like with an adapter there would be lots sticking straight out from the roof.
How did this work out for you?

Back
Top Bottom