GoBQ portable grill

JMVT

A new option for portable grilling.
20150318132850-LakeshoreCombo-IndieGoGo_652px.jpg

the world’s first and only ultra-portable packable fabric grill. Made from fireproof fabric, the GoBQ folds up like a camping chair and fits in a backpack, a drawer, or slung over your shoulder.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-gobq-grill-redefining-portability

GroovyDad said:
Pretty cool! I wonder if they plan to make a propane version?
Is it really BBQ cooked with propane?

I use a small kettle grill and Wicked Good Charcoal, Jake's Blend. Started using it about a year ago in my Big Green Egg. The best hardwood charcoal I've found and used to date. I've tried at least a couple of dozen providers listed on the Naked Whiz's Ceramic Cooker web site.

Advmoto18 said:
Is it really BBQ cooked with propane?

I use a small kettle grill and Wicked Good Charcoal, Jake's Blend. Started using it about a year ago in my Big Green Egg. The best hardwood charcoal I've found and used to date. I've tried at least a couple of dozen providers listed on the Naked Whiz's Ceramic Cooker web site.
I'm an egger as well. I graduated from a cheap Brinkman 3 years ago.

mostly I grill over a campfire in a fire pit. I do have a teeny collapsible cheap grill that I can use with charcoal. I can put together a pretty fair meal -- last year's turkey dinner was almost all cooked over a fire pit. Folks seemed to enjoy it. (I did cheat and use instant artificial gravy and heated the water on the stove in my camper.)

super doody said:
I'm an egger as well.
I procrastinated for years buying an Egg. Since graduating to the Egg, I have enjoyed some of the very best BBQ and steak I've cooked in 45 years of grilling. I have a killer Hawaiian BBQ pork shoulder recipe that's a killer; 8 hours on the Egg at 200F. Phenominal tasting bark. Only a true pit master can beat an Egger IMO.

Super Doody, if you have tried some of the recipes on the Naked Whiz web site, you should give them a try.

I cooked for years on a Holland Grill (propane). Misnamed because it is a cooker, not a grill. Steaks never had any flavor. Now I splurge once a week on a aged ribeye for the Egg.

Actually considering buying the tiny Egg for the Hawk. But the price is scary and other things I want.

N'kwala said:
mostly I grill over a campfire in a fire pit. I do have a teeny collapsible cheap grill that I can use with charcoal. I can put together a pretty fair meal -- last year's turkey dinner was almost all cooked over a fire pit. Folks seemed to enjoy it. (I did cheat and use instant artificial gravy and heated the water on the stove in my camper.)
Learn to make a roux! Add some a couple tablespoons of shallots. Buy some $4 (yes, expensive) stock at the grocery store. Heat up the stock and add to roux mixture. Takes about as twice as long to make really good gravy as heating artifical stuff but the flavor is incomprarable. You can also cut the stock by half and add dry white wine for even more flavor. Just bring to a boil for a minute to burn off the alcohol so it doesn't impart a bitter flavor to the gravy. Enjoy!

cwdtmmrs said:
You have got to be kidding....

CWD
CWD...
If you are referring to propane, no I'm not kidding.

I don't know where you live, but in the South, we don't cook BBQ or aged beef over propane fuel. If you open a BBQ joint and use propane, you will not be in business very long. BBQ down here is cooked very slowly over low heat from embers (hardwood charcoal).

The nice thing about an Egg, you can get it to 700+F and sear a steak on each side for one minute. Open lid, let temp fall to 400F and cook steak to desired internal temp. I know of no consumer propane grill capable of 700F.

N'kwala said:
Thanks. I know about roux. I'm just more interested in the firepit stuff when I'm camping, so I cheat.
Gottcha....roux over a pit fire would be a challenge.

But, pit/camp fire cooking doesn't mean you have to compromise on eating well!

Back
Top Bottom