Goin’ To The Poles

Did not use them for years until I took a pair for 9 day trek for Kilimanjaro. Only used them for the 2 day 9,000 foot decent. My gal had used them previously and later I noticed she was going uphill at a better speed then me. I started using them and noticed we were keeping the same pace.

I use them for going up steeper slopes and down steep steps putting weight on the poles lowering down. My knees are not what they used to be after a couple of surgery. Walking flats or easy sections I seem to carry them until I feel they will give me advantage and purpose. Any off trail scrambles or rough sections they are strapped to the pack out of the way so can freely use hands.

They aid my gal when crossing water where the rocks are tippy as they give her confidence not to fall in with a pack on.

They have their usage, but not all the time. I see a lot of users with poles not adjusted at a usable height and not taking advantage of the strap to help power the stroke.

As a trail user and a trail builder I see long term usage results. Based on soil types pole tips act as mini soil rototillers breaking up the compactness of the soil aiding in soil migration and erosion. Not all trails have the same soil type so it goes hardly noticed, as a trail builder you tend to see more.

I would say use them and learn how to get the most out of them. Know when not to use them. It all comes down to personal opinion. As we age they can work for you to increase hiking enjoyment adding daily distance miles while keeping leg joint pain under control.

Your use may vary.....

When out on trails like in Yellowstone we find a walking stick helps.
When crossing some water areas or rough terrain.
Also it's a place to hold the "bear bell"

I do like the extra stability.We also have the collapsible ones
but really don't use them.
One thing I did to my walking stick and collapsible poll was
to epoxy a 14/20 bolt to the poll so I could use it as a camera
mono pod. Works well.
Frank

I’ve got a telescoping pair I use for about everything. I originally got them for snowshoeing. Before that I used regular ski poles for snow stuff and just found whatever sturdy stick might be handy for everything else. There are two nice thing about them. First mine came with several tip ends and baskets to customize for the task, though I only use two or three of them. The second is as mentioned, as helpful as they are they are equally cumbersome. Mine collapse down to two feet+/-, thus I can easily strap to my pack or the back suspension on my fishing vest when I don’t want to use them.

Started using them several years ago when I blew out my left knee, and couldn't rely on it for much of anything. Poles enabled me to hike again. Then we found that they made me considerably faster, and on steep downhills with minimal traction - think super compacted glacial till - are a lifesaver. Wife uses them now too so she can keep up with me again.

They are a pain in tall scrub/narrow bush trails or when scrambling.

Back
Top Bottom