Going on a Diet - Safety Gear and Tools

eyemgh

In another thread I explained that in investigating the conversion to a flat bed, I discovered my rig was a little portly. I've been shedding pounds and now I'm down to the safety/tool stuff I carry. I went overboard initially, even carrying an aluminum floor jack (which I actually used on another truck first day out). I've cut back to the kit listed below. I don't think I'll cut any more. Some things I only bring if we're headed into placed where they're needed. For example, boards only come if we're in snow or sand. The bushranger only comes if we're going offroad and I think the stock bottle jack might not work well enough. Again, sand as an example. In any case, below is the list.

ARB Rapid deflator
Viair 450P Compressor (we deflate frequently)
Bunker Industries Traction Boards
ARB Bushranger Jack
Safety Seal Tire Repair Kit and Fix-A-Flat
NOCO Boost HD 2000A Lithium Jump Pack
Agawa Canyon Boreal 21 Saw
Garage Monkey Engineering Battery "Flares"
Basic Tool Kit (through socket set, screwdrivers, channel locks, crescent wrench, hammer, folding shovel)

After that are the things I'm thinking of jettisoning, but I want permission. ;)

Jumper Cables (seems redundant with the NOCO)
D-Rings, Hitch Ring, Strap (I'm not adept at extracting others and if someone comes to get me, they should have what they need)

Ditching these couple of things will actually save a fairly substantial amount of weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks as always for the sage advice of the collective! :)

Howdy

Always a good idea to shed things not needed for a specific trip....

With our new truck and Grandby we shed the FWD......

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

Always a good idea to shed things not needed for a specific trip....

With our new truck and Grandby we shed the FWD......

David Graves
That’s a big weight reduction! Having grown up w/ RWD in the snow, I leave our truck in 2WD most of the time. That said, we ski a lot and some days they only allow 4WD up the hill. We also mostly dispersed camp. We have a few hiding spots that require 4WD, occasionally even low.

Ditch the bow shackles and go with soft. Keep the hitch ring and strap(s)…assuming others will show up with those items is wishful thinking. You can offset the weight of these items by judiciously culling your tool kit to include only those sizes used on your truck. Refer to J. Hanson’s articles on tool selection. I’d keep the aluminum floor jack and ditch the OEM, much more useful and stable in the majority of situations. After watching a truck roll off an exhaust bag jack I don’t trust them and they weigh a surprising 25#. Say goodbye to the jumper cables, they’re becoming anachronistic. Good luck with your diet!

As always, YMMV.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
Refer to J. Hanson’s articles on tool selection.
I did a bit of searching both on the forum and with Google. I can't seem to hunt anything down. Would you kindly point me in the direction. Thanks!

I ditched my jumper cables years ago. They take up a lot of space and they can useless when you are boondocking and no one is around. Replaced the jumper cables with a lithium jump pack. Less space, more versatile. The jump pack has enough struggle that I can use it to run lights, recharge iPad, etc.

Have to agree with the "jump pack".
I bought one years ago have never
used it for my vehicle but have helped others.
So I guess that makes it worthwhile.

I'll keep the cables they stash away behind the grill area out of the way.

Use most of the other stuff,or think I will use it.
Better to have and never use then need and not have IMO.
Frank

Great topic - I am working to configure my shell build and one of my primary goals to not to unnecessarily used up valuable space with heavy and seldomly used tools, components, etc.

Lighthawk said:
I wouldn't give up a strap, or jumper cables.
You may be the one who comes upon a less fortunate traveler.
I forked over the bucks for two Bubba Rope Gator-Jaw soft shackles and a Gear America billet aluminum receiver shackle mount. They’ll replace the much heavier Rhino Gear steel equivalents. And my wallet is lighter too. :D

With the avatar dune buggy weight was precious. Every ounce counted. My tool selection process was to put an empty tool box in the buggy. Every time that I worked on it, and I did 100% of it's work, I used the tools in the tool box. When the box didn't have the tool needed it got added. It took a while, but eventually the box had exactly the tools needed to do anything required and no others.

I have a set of "Mr. Goodwrench" jumpers that are a small wire gauge and aren't heavy or hard to carry. They have surprised me with how effective they can be. All three off-pavement capable vehicles also carry booster packs. Two are XP-10's and I'm impressed with those (one started a 12 valve Cummins with flat batteries), the one off-brand unit not so much.

"I did a bit of searching both on the forum and with Google. I can't seem to hunt anything down. Would you kindly point me in the direction. Thanks!"

I believe he is referring to Overland Tech and Travel, here. :)

Search there and you'll find . . . a lot . . . on tools. But at a minimum a quality 3/8ths socket and ratchet set and the equivalent wrenches, screwdrivers, a selection of pliers, and one soft and one hard hammer is a good basis. Personally I'd ditch the folding shovel and carry a proper recovery shovel like this one. That and your recovery boards (and patience) will get you out of most stuck situations.

But you are completely on the right track in having the means to solve, 1) battery issues, and, 2) tire issues, the two most common causes of breakdowns. And three cheers to you for airing down frequently!

I believe he is referring to Overland Tech and Travel

Well yes, yes I am! A worthy exercise even if, like me, you get caught up in analysis paralysis. And easy for me to say while driving a 3/4-ton with a GVM of 9200#. Lots of good comments here while you decide and balance needs, comfort, safety, and weight for your intended activity. Ex: you mention only bringing traction boards for snow; I’ll always bring four Maxtrax, minimum two. Different strokes, as they say.

I could easily drop 250# or more by ditching the winch and mount. I’ve never used it to self-extract…hmm.

JHanson said:
"I did a bit of searching both on the forum and with Google. I can't seem to hunt anything down. Would you kindly point me in the direction. Thanks!"

I believe he is referring to Overland Tech and Travel, here. :)

Search there and you'll find . . . a lot . . . on tools. But at a minimum a quality 3/8ths socket and ratchet set and the equivalent wrenches, screwdrivers, a selection of pliers, and one soft and one hard hammer is a good basis. Personally I'd ditch the folding shovel and carry a proper recovery shovel like this one. That and your recovery boards (and patience) will get you out of most stuck situations.

But you are completely on the right track in having the means to solve, 1) battery issues, and, 2) tire issues, the two most common causes of breakdowns. And three cheers to you for airing down frequently!
Thanks! If we’re going anywhere soft, snow or sand, I throw in a long handled shovel. Off to read!

I like to have a strap with me and the hitch connections to use with it. If I come across a stuck person and don’t have the right pulling equipment, i may feel pressured to help using somebody else’s crap. If stuff fails while pulling it can snap back and damage your truck or hurt somebody. I don’t feel right driving away from somebody who needs help, but I don’t want to have a problem because of their substandard equipment.

Jon R said:
I like to have a strap with me and the hitch connections to use with it. If I come across a stuck person and don’t have the right pulling equipment, i may feel pressured to help using somebody else’s crap. If stuff fails while pulling it can snap back and damage your truck or hurt somebody. I don’t feel right driving away from somebody who needs help, but I don’t want to have a problem because of their substandard equipment.
This is a very good point. I always stress to people they should have their own tools even if they have zero mechanical ability. If you have to rely on a passing good Samaritan to help the least you can do is offer your own tools.

The same goes for recovery gear, with the added component of safety. Suppose you're stuck and someone stops to help and pulls out a chain? At a minimum a kinetic recovery strap or rope and a pair of shackles should be in your kit. Soft shackles are wonderful but not usable in all situations. Most shackle attachment points on ARB bumpers and the like are too sharp-edged to use soft shackles.

JHanson said:
This is a very good point. I always stress to people they should have their own tools even if they have zero mechanical ability. If you have to rely on a passing good Samaritan to help the least you can do is offer your own tools.

The same goes for recovery gear, with the added component of safety. Suppose you're stuck and someone stops to help and pulls out a chain? At a minimum a kinetic recovery strap or rope and a pair of shackles should be in your kit. Soft shackles are wonderful but not usable in all situations. Most shackle attachment points on ARB bumpers and the like are too sharp-edged to use soft shackles.

I have appropriately rounded attachments. It might make sense to take one bow shackle in the event that they don't have an appropriate attachment. Drip by drip, gram by gram, I'm creeping back to the original problem though, carrying too much stuff and being over weight.

Does anyone use a come-along anymore? They used to be common for extractions before electric winches became ubiquitous, but they're still a lot lighter and less expensive. Re safety of any cable or strap with tension on it, your carpet runner, a blanket, or some branches cut from a bush (don't get caught by a ranger!) hung over the cable or strap will all help cut velocity if something slips or snaps.

I also have that "old school" item. Stores in engine area right fender well cover.
Out of the way.I I forget it most of the time,but it's there when/in I need it.

Great advise about placing something on the cable.
Frank

Ditto. Our little come-along is 17 lbs of goodness that I don't mind hauling with us, knowing that if I didn't bring it along to the high country I'd regret it somewhere down that lonesome forest road.
Rico.

Back
Top Bottom