Going to Death Valley, a few questions

12valve

Planning a trip to DV, but having difficulty finding out certain information. We are planning on going to the Racetrack and hiking Ubehebe peak. My last visit I was able to camp in a small area past (South) of the Racetrack parking. I get the impression you are not able to camp at that location anymore. Does anybody know for certain? If there is no camping there, where would be the nearest location? We will be in 2 vehicles, both off road capable. Thanks.

Are you talking about the Homestake Dry Camp at the south end of the Race Track where it meets Lippincott Mine Rd?

Where did you see that it was closed? The NPS site doesn't mention anything about it. If I couldn't camp there, I'd go up to Teakettle Junction then camp off of Hunter Mountain road before reaching the spur to the Lost Burro mine.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/backcamp.htm

Got it, thank you! I know the Homestake Camp is small and will fill easily. I also know Hunter Mtn Road and the Lost Burro Mine area. You were a big help, thanks.

We just got back a few days ago. Homesteak is open. I'd say there's probably 10 spots total and when we were there the max campers we saw was 3. No issues, no crowds.

We were surprised to learn on our last trip that dispersed camping is now allowed (in used sites) along Racetrack Road 2 miles from Ubehebe Crater to Teakettle Junction. No camping past Teakettle until Homestake. No way would I camp along that dust cloud but was surprised to see used campsites - unfortunately also with new illegal campfire rings. Break them down and carry out the ashes. Ubehebe Peak is well worth the effort. Have fun.

Fishyhead has the right idea.

You can also drive up opposite Lost Burro Mine, heading north towards White Mountain. You follow miles of an old water pipeline.
It's an immense bajada and there's roadside DV style camping about the same level as the mouth of Perdido Canyon.
Nothing fancy, but isolation with a big view.

Good information here, thanks! We plan on hiking Uhebebe Peak, have done it before and well worth a second visit. Since we will be driving down Hidden Valley Road, going to the White Mountain area instead of Homesteak may be a option, it it does not make for too long of a day. Lost Burro Mine is always fun to visit.

The dispersed sites that Lighthawk mentions are excellent in this area. Have you hiked Corridor Canyon? The one dry fall required a rope when we last visited, but Corridor is one of our favorites.

Corridor canyon sounds and looks awesome! Not this trip as one in our group (4) would not be up to the task. Next trip it will be a priority. I was wondering about a rope. Easy to take and I have all the accessories and skill to use them. Good insurance. Perdido canyon and adjoining areas have moved up a few notches on the list.
ONE (ha) more question: Any reports of snow up Hunter Mountain Road? Thinking of going over to Cerro Good and out through Keeler. I know 9100 is getting up there.
Conglomerate Mesa is on the potential list. The L.A. Times had a big article on that area. A open pit gold min is in the works, thanks to a Australian mining company and thanks to the 1872 Mining Law.

I have not seen any current conditions on Hunter Mountain Road. It holds snow and water in many places along the top and can be miserable to get through - as the deeply rutted road shows in those areas. Also, there is one shaded area on the switch backs down had has a spring seeping across the road that can be an exciting ice rink. But, as I said I have no current conditions. Have a good trip!

I was in DV last week, and while we did not drive Hunter Mountain road, we hit snow and mud on other passes around 6-7000'. Trying to exit the park to the north on Cucomongo Canyon rd, we hit snow and chained up, but eventually the mud between the snow got quite bad and we turned around so as not to do too much damage to the road surface. We were the first car up there since the snow.

Things melt fast, but be prepared (with an alternative route and the petrol to take it) for snow and mud on the passes. Remember the roads aren't graded often, so if you find yourself leaving ruts, it may be best to turn around.

Here's from March 12 -

Death Valley Road Conditions
March 12 at 2:31 PM ·

Spring rain showers at Furnace Creek means snow at higher elevations. This week's storms have closed the road from the Wildrose Charcoal Kilns to Telescope Peak Trailhead. Rangers reported 8-12 inches (20-30 cm) of snow yesterday on the road to Hunter Mountain, with probable additional accumulation during today's storm. Snow is visible on many of the peaks in the Grapevine Mountains, and may be present on Titus Canyon Road. If you plan to explore high elevation backcountry roads this weekend, be prepared for challenging conditions.

rando said:
I was in DV last week, and while we did not drive Hunter Mountain road, we hit snow and mud on other passes around 6-7000'. Trying to exit the park to the north on Cucomongo Canyon rd, we hit snow and chained up, but eventually the mud between the snow got quite bad and we turned around so as not to do too much damage to the road surface. We were the first car up there since the snow.

Things melt fast, but be prepared (with an alternative route and the petrol to take it) for snow and mud on the passes. Remember the roads aren't graded often, so if you find yourself leaving ruts, it may be best to turn around.
Thanks for adding this, rando. You are a good adventurer. We do the same.

Thanks for the link, I will keep up to date using it. No worries about us tearing up the road, we drive responsibly. If the snow is starting around 6-7000', it will be that much worse higher. As well, getting in trouble at altitude makes recovery that much harder. Not a good position too be in.
Our exit may be Saline valley road to 190. Because of these unstable road conditions, our route is not finalized by any means, but no way am I looking for trouble or 4wd heroics.

So we have never been there. So?? Are there places in the park where you can refill your 20 gallon water tank?

We drove the Hunter Mtn and White Top Mtn roads about 2 weeks ago with no trouble. However it snowed a bit later when we were in Saline Valley.

Crazy question. So you find a spot to camp. then you take a ride to a trail head. How do you mark that the site you are using as occupied?

dennis 221 said:
Crazy question. So you find a spot to camp. then you take a ride to a trail head. How do you mark that the site you are using as occupied?
You don't. If you come back and it is empty, then you can use it again. Otherwise you find another spot, there are plenty.

Back
Top Bottom