Going to Flagstaff I-40 from Ventura

12valve

Short work/play trip to Flagstaff over Easter weekend. I want to spend at least one night out. Leaving early on Friday morning, spending Friday night out, hiking, messing around on Saturday, rolling into Flag Saturday evening. Any ideas of places, campsites, etc would be appreciated. 4x4 roads are OK. Doing the same, spending one night out on the return trip. Thanks.

Check out Pisgah Crater. I've been up there once and have wanted to camp on the east side where there are about four fire rings made of rock. Really neat place.

The Mojave Desert Preserve is a great place to spend a little time or just spend a night. I don't have specific suggestions, I just found a secluded spot to break my drive and spend the night.

I understand the "find a secluded spot" thinking, I have done that many times. I was just thinking if anybody out there knew of a location that was special, it would help us plan. We will be spending 2 nights somewhere as we drive. Going slow.

It's been a number of years but we found nice boondock camping around the Morman Lake area, lots of forest service roads if I recall correctly. Couldn't recommend a special spot but I'm sure you will find one of your own. Lake Mary Road is where we turned off I think.

For an organized campground, Midhills is pretty nice and it is at some altitude which may be a bonus if its hot.It is a ways off of the 40, but any route chosen to it takes you past some interesting POI's.

I have been to Bedrock City when I went to the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff. Great for a smile. A bit out of our way for this trip.

Funny to come across this thread, we're heading out on Friday to Sedona for about a week (from Ventura). We've got to drop off the pooch with the in-laws in Banning, so our route will need to include I-10, but I'm planning to take I-60 to I-71 to I-89 through Prescott and Cottonwood.

Weather is looking nice!

Wave if you see a grey double cab Tundra around Ventura with a camper shell on the back :)

Nice route. I have done that, beats I-17 North anytime. Sedona is beautiful, if you can get away from the intense crowds. A nice hike, although easy and possibly others will be there is up West Creek. If you are willing, bring wet shoes and wool socks and keep going after the trail ends. It dead ends in a shallow pool of water, flat bottom, but it looks like you can continue up. Looks beautiful, and nobody will be there. Outstanding hiking outside of Sedona canyon. If you can, check out Jerome, a cool little historical, crazy, mountain side town.

X2 on Mid Hills. Also, haven't been there in many years but Caruthers Canyon used to be a very special place before the Mojave Preserve was the Mojave Preserve. It had a great camp area near the end of the canyon that was built and used by local ranchers. Perhaps others here can comment on whether it is still a "special place."

Back
Top Bottom