Going to Northern California and Redwoods

dorocks

Greetings

Finally got a vacation again in July. Heading up the 1 and 101 from San Francisco to Jedediah Smith Redwoods National Park. Hoping to camp in the most obscure places. When we went to Lassen we often camped on Forest service roads away from crowds and off road vehicles. It's been awhile since I have seen the big trees. Should be pleasant weather next to the coast.

Keith Barnes
La Mesa CA

First night - Indian Creek County park in Philo (HWY 128). Only ten camp sites and first-come, first-served. $20 per night and very quiet and secluded, the CG is actually right in an old growth rw stand. Swim in the Navarro River or Indian Creek just a 5 minute walk. I'm not much of a fan of pay camping, but this one is way under the radar and a really great spot. Take 128 out to the coast the next morning and enjoy the drive north.

I would encourage you to spend a night at Gold Bluffs Beach. Not a primitive site but spectacular.

You might want to check out Shelter Cove while you are there. No good camping in the town, but great spot to play on the beach, surf maybe? and the area is awesome.

You might want to check out Shelter Cove while you are there. No good camping in the town, but great spot to play on the beach, surf maybe? and the area is awesome.

That road on the ridge above Shelter Cove (heading north) has at least one nice campground on it that seems pretty out there. I doubt it gets used much. That road is a great way to travel north and would be a good addition to the trip I would think.

That road on the ridge above Shelter Cove (heading north) has at least one nice campground on it that seems pretty out there. I doubt it gets used much. That road is a great way to travel north and would be a good addition to the trip I would think.

Are you talking about the Kings Peak Road? All I see around Shelter Cove is town roads.

Keith

Yeah Kings Peak Road. Here's one of the campgrounds:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/spot?record=1031

I am also planning a trip to the redwoods mendocino area. I am planning on going in early Nov. wanted to see if anyone has any info. on weather conditions in the Fall. Also if people know if certain camping sites are seasonal or year round. Thanks

Greetings

Finally got a vacation again in July. Heading up the 1 and 101 from San Francisco to Jedediah Smith Redwoods National Park. Hoping to camp in the most obscure places. When we went to Lassen we often camped on Forest service roads away from crowds and off road vehicles. It's been awhile since I have seen the big trees. Should be pleasant weather next to the coast.

Keith Barnes
La Mesa CA

Having lived on the North Coast for over 15 years I can tell you that fall can be one of the best times of the year in terms of weather....but its still a crap shoot. It could be sunny for a few days and then start pouring the next. I wouldn't let the weather discourage you.....some of the most beautiful times in the Redwoods can be had when it raining and the creeks are flowing.

Cort

Thanks for the info Cort. Any suggestions for campgrounds or areas that can be camped. Have a pretty capable rig. T-100 4x4 with a ranger model, we can go almost everywhere. Would love some spots with either beach access or redwood hiking close by. Thanks again.

Dagan
Having lived on the North Coast for over 15 years I can tell you that fall can be one of the best times of the year in terms of weather....but its still a crap shoot. It could be sunny for a few days and then start pouring the next. I wouldn't let the weather discourage you.....some of the most beautiful times in the Redwoods can be had when it raining and the creeks are flowing.

Cort

Well I would definitely check out Shelter Cove and the surrounding areas. Kings Peak road is a good drive. There is not much primitive camping on the immediate coast so you will have to stick to the campgrounds. Gold Bluffs beach should not be missed. Once you are up around the Orick area there are lots of great day hikes to do. I really like Lost Man Creek. If you walk up Lost Man Creek from the parking area you will come to a steep hill in about 1.5 mi, about half way up this hill look for a small unmarked trail that dives off the road back down toward the SF of Lost Man Creek. This is a very steep trail but it will lead you down into a spectacular grove of Redwoods right at the confluence of the NF and SF of Lost Man Creek. You will have the whole place to yourself.

Bald Hills road is a good drive that goes up through prairie land and inland. If you do it in the morning or evening you will see Roosevelt Elk for sure...though you will see them in and around Orick as well. Bald Hills road will connect you with Hwy 169 and 96 near Weitchpec at the confluence of the Trinity and Klamath Rivers. I saw in your PM that you are eventually headed to Ashland. You could wander your way up the 96 for several days. There is tons of camping to be had. One area I really like is Bluff Creek. Bluff Creek Trail goes way back and links with many other roads. You can explore back in the bluff creek area for a long time. Its hard to give specifics as it seems like the gates that are open vs the gates that are closed are always changing.

If you do decide to go up the 96 make sure you check out Salmon River Rd. The Salmon River is gorgeous and not to be missed. When you get to Seiad Valley you can take a dirt rd over into Oregon. I highly recommend this drive and there are several places along the route with primitive camping. See attached google earth file. Seiad Creek Rd will take you over to the Applegate River near Jacksonville, Or. From there it is a quick trip to Ashland

If you stay on the coast and end up in Crescent City make sure you take the back way into Stout Grove. see attached google earth file. After driving and doing some hiking in Stout Grove you will end up on the SF Smith near the confluence with the Middle Fork. Explore up the SF a bit.

If it was me I would check out the Redwoods up to around the Orick area and then move inland....you will have way more options for exploring and primitive camping...but hey thats just me. If you do decide to go inland a bit there are some great drives in the coastal mountains that have lots of primitive camping and great views of the ocean. Just let me know and I can get you started.

Cort

Attachments

• Seiad Creek Rd.kmz
    730 bytes · Views: 103
  • Stout Grove.kmz
    924 bytes · Views: 119
Cort, what fantastic details! Don't have plans for this area right now but will definitely earmark this one for future reference. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Cort, what fantastic details! Don't have plans for this area right now but will definitely earmark this one for future reference. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

yes, thanks Cort!

No problem guys. I should take the time and put together a few *.kmz files for the places that we escape to on the weekends up here. There is lots of good exploring to be had in the Six River and Klamath National Forests. Sometimes it takes others to remind me about all the good stuff around here.

Back
Top Bottom