Gold Butte NV. Welfare Rancher resists eviction with armed militia

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I partly grew up in cattle country and between the BLM and the do-gooders in Clark County they've not just removed his ability to earn a living, they're also removed his whole way of life. I see the CBD using the ESA as a tool to ram their agenda down everyone's throat all over the West. Frankly I'm surprised that they've been around this long.

OTOH the land has to be managed for the best of not just us, but all of the future generations. Arguably he was probably doing what he thought was best for the land (since his livelihood depends on it) and perhaps that wasn't correct or enough or something. I won't claim to know anything with regards to that.

Now that the whole thing is so polarized I feel that there is no hope for a resolution that gives everyone something, and makes everyone a little mad. I overheard a USFS regional manger once say after a land use meeting that if they walk away with everyone a little upset at the result then they're probably pretty close to the middle.

ntsqd said:
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I partly grew up in cattle country and between the BLM and the do-gooders in Clark County they've not just removed his ability to earn a living, they're also removed his whole way of life.
I would argue that cheap beef imports from places like Brazil have done more damage to the livelihood of ranchers than any regulations. In fact, I had one tell me once that a couple decades ago it took the sale of x cattle to buy a new truck, and now it takes 3 times as many.

I would imagine a compromise that everyone could deal with is that we put tariffs on the imported beef, raising the price of domestic beef. Then the ranchers pay the fair fees required for the use of massive swaths of public land that they use for the operation of their businesses. Maybe *gasp* they could even stand the thought of a wolf or two over yonder if they are getting a fair price for their goods.

DirtyDog said:
I would argue that cheap beef imports from places like Brazil have done more damage to the livelihood of ranchers than any regulations. In fact, I had one tell me once that a couple decades ago it took the sale of x cattle to buy a new truck, and now it takes 3 times as many.

I would imagine a compromise that everyone could deal with is that we put tariffs on the imported beef, raising the price of domestic beef. Then the ranchers pay the fair fees required for the use of massive swaths of public land that they use for the operation of their businesses. Maybe *gasp* they could even stand the thought of a wolf or two over yonder if they are getting a fair price for their goods.
2x-got that right DD, but don't forget all that New Zealand Lamb. This guy is no poor starving rancher and definitely is not a poster child for the non corporate western rancher-he is very rich and always right; of course if you use Fox TV, the militia net sites and hate radio as your only source of information, he is a pillar of the American way and a defender of freedom. By the way we get allot of our beef from the Midwest -although there are some smart ranchers out there who have learned to compete by following good conservation practices and now they have 10 nice big healthy cows instead of 100 very skinny cows-and not by doing what their grandfather did while destroying the land!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom