good eats in Mina NV, Hwy 95 - Socorro's

Vic

camping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range
So found myself on a short notice drive from Las Vegas to Reno yesterday, and by a coincidence I got a Nevada Magazine the day before proclaiming the 'best hamburger on hwy 95' in Mina. I'm thinking, Mina - no way - that's a wide spot in the road. But I rolled the dice and passed by an old favorite in Tonopah and had the best burger on hwy 95 for sure - Socorro's - in a red hut in mid-town Mina - run but a delightful 74 year old resident who was a delightful to talk to as the food was to eat. She's been in Mina for decades and had some great stories too. Just one of those local places that makes you feel good and fills you up.

Anyway, I highly recommend it if you are looking for a good burger in a small town. A lot of fun. Just bring cash though - no credit cards.

Happy Wandering.

We go through there a couple of times a year, I’ll have to give it a try. There’s a little RV park in Mina (or is it Luning?) that is a nice place to get a night with electrical hookup if needed. Walk down to the airfield behind the park, there used to be an old Luscombe down there. Awaken to the sound of braying burros :) .

Isn't Mina the town with a large yacht on the side of the road? No water within miles of the town, and as I recall, it looked too big to trailer in.

Thanks Vic. Next time we head down to DV we can check it out.

Isn't Mina the town with a large yacht on the side of the road?
Yup. As I recall, the guy raised crayfish and that was his restaurant. He called them dessert lobster or something like that. He got shut down because he sold them live and there was concern they would be released and become established in other Nevada waters.
Another thing I have noticed driving by this area (can't remember if it is Mina or Luning) is one of the properties on the west side of the road has some old travel trailers sitting there. One of them is amazingly long, like the one from the old Lucy movie called The Long Trailer.
gallery_176_163_5390.jpg

Back
Top Bottom