Good WtW way to get to Bullfrog Marina from Needles District?

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric
Site Team
Besides driving around on 191 & 24 to Boulder, or 191, 95, 276? Something more direct, off the beaten path, but not rock crawling?

Just west of Blanding take 95 west turn south on Comb Wash south (236) nice scenic easy dirt road down to 183. Could go back to Bluff for something to eat. Then on 163 head west and drive through the Valley of the Gods. If time deviate south to the Goosenecks State Park for a look (Mexican Hat has a restaurant on the river), then backtrack north up Mogi Dugway (great views at the top) hen north to get back on 95 to get on 276 to Bullfrog.

Nice to know about the Comb Wash road. I'll have to check that out. But that is basically more roundabout than what I was hoping for. Ideally the road would go from Squaw Flats strait west or WSW to about where the 95 and 276 join. Maybe there is no way... just thinking out loud.

You want to drive through Manti-Sal NF more directly to get to Hwy 276?
If you got a good 4x4 go over Elephant Hill - then south 119 through Beef Basin, connect to Gooseberry rd (088), Line Creek (095), then south on Cottonwood Rd ((106) throgh Cottonwood Wash to Hwy 163 or take 228 west and it takes to over to Hwy 95 (actually hwy 275 then Hwy 95).
If you want to avoid Elephant hill,. turn off Needles Hwy 211 at Bridger Jack Rd (107) and get on Gooseberry Rd that way. I have traveled most these roads.

Yes, this is more like what I was thinking. I bet it would be faster to drive on pavement, but this looks like a good wander! I'm not up to doing Elephant Hill, even if my truck is :oops:

How are those other roads? Just high clearance or are they 4x4 required roads?

Most NFS roads are in good condition, compared to Canadian standards. The only show stopper are wet conditions - the slick mud is bad.
There is lots to see down there - the Manti-Sal forest is OK, but the unique SW scenery is found elsewhere

You want to drive through Manti-Sal NF more directly to get to Hwy 276?
If you got a good 4x4 go over Elephant Hill - then south 119 through Beef Basin, connect to Gooseberry rd (088), Line Creek (095), then south on Cottonwood Rd ((106) throgh Cottonwood Wash to Hwy 163 or take 228 west and it takes to over to Hwy 95 (actually hwy 275 then Hwy 95).
If you want to avoid Elephant hill,. turn off Needles Hwy 211 at Bridger Jack Rd (107) and get on Gooseberry Rd that way. I have traveled most these roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

What is NFS Road like from Needles thru Manti Sal in late April; wet & cold? I'm more concerned with potential freezes or snow than a few pot holes. Or as suggested just get back out to 191.
I've Noticed camps at elevation around 8000' don't open until May 15!

Historically do you know if the Burr Trail thru Pocketwater Cliffs open from Bullfrog to Boulder 1st week of May, or do you go all the way around to 24 than 12?

Oops my bad waterpocket fold is what I'm asking. There might be better route names than I'm aware of. Thanks

SeatoSea said:
What is NFS Road like from Needles thru Manti Sal in late April; wet & cold? I'm more concerned with potential freezes or snow than a few pot holes. Or as suggested just get back out to 191.
I've Noticed camps at elevation around 8000' don't open until May 15!
I've seen snow in the Abajos into June, April would be hit or miss, all depends on what kind of year they have had for snow and the recent temps, no snow and freezing would be great as otherwise it could be a muddy mess up high.

Back
Top Bottom