Got One!

the fisherman

Big Time
Thought you might like to see how that salmon dinner gets to your plate. That's Angie, my kind of girl. Sitka 2008.

Attachments

• angie.jpg
    angie.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 309
Thought you might like to see how that salmon dinner gets to your plate. That's Angie, my kind of girl. Sitka 2008.

THE BOAT THAT STARTED IT ALL, ONE OF THE FINEST WOOD BOATS ON THE WEST COAST, A BOAT WITH SOME REAL HISTORY, MAN THE STORIES IT COULD TELL.

Attachments

• NW2744_PacificShadow_01.jpg
    NW2744_PacificShadow_01.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 287
When I was a kid we had a 32ft. Grand Banks with a single screw Ford Lehman. Have some very fond memories of that old girl.;) One thing about wood boats, they will last forever if taken care of properly. Thanks for posting that pic.

It's A Love Affair

The problem now Marc is that fishing is in a decline, it costs big money to take care of a boat like that, but there are a few of us left who feel it's important that a few of these boats survive. You could not possibly build a boat like that today. It has been constantly up graded over the period of time that I've had it (33yrs) and I'm only the second owner, that has a lot to do with it's condition. Nothing rides like a wood boat, nothing fishes salmon like wood boat, and nothing is more work than a wood boat, and there's nothing as pretty as that wood boat period.

Here's A Few More

Not bad for a 51yr. old boat. These pics. were taken last spring in Ketchikan. That's a Detroit 471, it powers the boat as well as a 20ton. hyd. powered compressor for the boats freezer system. It has made its way into the 21 century and can go toe to toe with the big boys.

Attachments

• lift.jpg
    lift.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 250
  • main.jpg
    main.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 255
  • wheelhouse.jpg
    wheelhouse.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 248
Jon

Your praise is poetic, and I agree whole heartedly with what you say. The first boat I ever fished on was an old kettenburg "Whaleback" that was powered by an ancient 371 Jimmy. That sucker would run and run, even when water was coming over its bell housing :eek:. I always wondered what happened to her. Last trip I made on her was for squid and we were hand brailing. That was work. Sure wish we would of had a power block.

Jon

Your praise is poetic, and I agree whole heartedly with what you say. The first boat I ever fished on was an old kettenburg designed "Whaleback" that was powered by an ancient 371 Jimmy. That sucker would run and run, even when water was coming over its bell housing :eek:. I always wondered what happened to her. Last trip I made on her was for squid and we were hand brailing. That was work. Sure wish we would of had a power block.
You made me think, and laugh to myself. When I started fishing if you had a cb radio and a life jacket you were well equipped, now both boats we operate have sat. phones, computer driven navigation software, and mind boggling fish finding equipment, including sidescan sonar, which has made us very efficient at catching fish, which has turned into a problem for us as an industry. Which is the reason I favor trolling as a method for catching fish, it's inherantly inefficient, and selective, very little or no bycatch problems. When you buy Salmon, buy troll caught fish, it's the highest quality you can buy, and it's caught in a responsible manner.

My favorite salmon are Troll Kings and Copper River, and although my fishing career was on and off through my teens and early twenties I have the utmost respect for those that make a living at it. You will never hear me gripe about price, nor will I ever buy a farm raised fish. Fishing was the hardest job I ever had yet it was also very rewarding in many ways. Only those that have done It can relate.

I can relate...

Which is the reason I favor trolling as a method for catching fish, it's inherantly inefficient, and selective, very little or no bycatch problems.

Sometimes that troll bycatch can be a nice surprise:D:D

Back
Top Bottom