GPS noob question

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
For web-based mapping stuff I need GPS coordinates in decimal format. My Garmin displays coordinates like this:

N44°23.900'
W120°10.403'

Now I understand that GPS cooridnate formats can be in degrees minute seconds, which is what I'm assuming that is, but I can't use these values to convert to decimal with the tool I usually use here:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html

So the question is - exactly what format is this default Garmin format and how can I convert it?

Without having my Garmin handy to check, it looks like you have only degrees and minutes there. With the minutes expressed as a decimal.

N44°23.900' = 44 degrees and 23.9 minutes. The tool you linked to doesn't allow fractional minutes because it is expecting seconds (1/60th minute) as the fraction. (I'm pretty sure 23.9 min = 23min and 15 sec).

In the Garmin settings somewhere, you can change it to decimal.

I'm sure someone with more practice and knowledge than me can confirm or correct the above.

In the Garmin settings somewhere, you can change it to decimal.

Yeah I tried to figure that out and I couldn't find the settings. This Garmin unit is going to outsmart DirtyDog!!

Not sure how to use the unit as I don't own one. I do know that 1 minute = 60 seconds so .9 minutes will be .9 x 60 sec = 54 sec. Not much help but the conversion is correct. Good Luck.

Not sure how to use the unit as I don't own one. I do know that 1 minute = 60 seconds so .9 minutes will be .9 x 60 sec = 54 sec. Not much help but the conversion is correct. Good Luck.

That's it. DD, the Garmin is set to display Degrees, Minutes.Decimal Minutes. You can probably change it to Degrees, Minutes, Seconds or even Degrees.Decimal Degrees.

The attached .zip file has an Excel file which will allow you to convert Degrees, Minutes, Seconds or Degrees, Minutes.Decimal Minutes to Degrees.Decimal Degrees. Although the worksheet is protected for the sake of the formulas, there is no password to unprotect it.

60"=1' and 60'=1° (a.k.a. 60 seconds=1 minute and 60 minutes = 1 degree) so 3600" = 1°

Attachments

• DegMinSec.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 145
On my Garmin Etrex Legend to convert to decimal readout I did the following,

Go to:
Main Menu
Setup
Units
Under the heading “Position Format” select “hddd.ddddd”

That’s all there was to it on my unit.

If I remember right, the original format was “hddd.mm.mmm” Your unit is probably similarly setup, if not the same.

DD,

In your example the 23.900' is 23.900 minutes and the 10.403' is 10.403 minutes. Seconds are denoted by a " .

To get to decimal degrees divide them by 60 and add to the degrees and get N44.39833 degrees W120.17338 degrees.

I use a handheld Garmin Legend and if memory serves there's a select for decimal degrees, dms and degrees/decimal minutes. The degrees/decimal minutes reads with the smallest radius (closest to where you really are) so is an advantage. If you're still wanting to change your setting (to decimal degrees?) let me know and I'll hunt up mine and see how to change it and let you know, maybe your's will be the same.

Happy Trails
'birds

Sounds like CJinCA has the answer you want, but I couldn't resist setting you up with a java applet that makes the conversion for you. You can get it at

http://sdsshost2.apo.nmsu.edu/~snedden/dec_lat_long.html

You should be able to just view the page code and save it to your own computer to run locally. If you can't see the page because of firewall issues, just send me a message and I'll attach the code (if you even want it).

Duh, of course. Where the heck did I get 15 sec from? I must have divided 23.9 by 60. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom