Granby on a 6 1/2 foot bed

Happyjax

Anyone doing that? I am looking at a 2015 Ford F150 but want the crewmax which does not give an 8ft bed option. I know some folks put the tailgate down for longer campers. Of course the issue is weight distribution and front wheel handling with so much past the rear wheel. Has anyone been there done that burned the T-shirt :)

I have Grandy in the back of my 6.5' bed truck with the tail gate down. Kilroy makes a good point. The crew cab eats up 500 to 600 lbs of payload and shifts the CG of the camper further back to the back of the read wheels and maybe even further depending on how the camper is configured. It not and issue in my 1 ton, but needs to be thought out in a 1/2 ton. This is the main reason I got rid of my Nissan Titan crew cab.

The 2015 Ford F150 has an aluminum body.bed and is about 700 lbs lighter than last year. That ups the payload a bunch! Over 2600 with heavy duty tow package and 18" E-rated tires:)

I have test driven one and like it but I do part with that kind of money without serious investigation. That's why I ask so many darn questions lol

Happyjax said:
The 2015 Ford F150 has an aluminum body.bed and is about 700 lbs lighter than last year. That ups the payload a bunch! Over 2600 with heavy duty tow package and 18" E-rated tires:)
Payload weights have indeed increased with the "beer can" panels. Yet, weights will still vary between sub-models (regular cab, supercab or super crew), engine slection and wheel sizes.

Here is the Ford chart.

Yes it is crazy payload for a 1/2 ton but the aluminum bed actually holds up well from some of the videos I've seen but it is expensive to repair.... More to ponder:)

I had seriously looked at a new F150 with the heavy payload package when it appeared I was going to have to sell my F350 with my former Bigfoot camper as a package deal. I even went so far as to obtain an X-plan pin before the buyer bailed.

One thing I remember from my research, as far as the 3.5l Ecoboost vs. the 5.0l. They both have similar torque and HP specs. The Ecoboost MPG beats the 5.0l unladen, but the 5.0l loses a lot less MPG under load than does the Ecoboost.

Guys who carry heavy all the time do better with a 5.0, guys who daily drive mostly empty and only load heavy for vacations do better with the 3.5. I was going to order the 5.0l since I rarely will remove my camper.

I run a Grandby in by Tundra with the 6.5' bed. I take the tailgate off and use 4 pressure treated 2x4's underneath to get some extra height and better support.

Okay, I'm one of those that have a Granby on an old 1999 F-150, 1/2 ton 4x4 with the tail gate down. I bought the Granby new in 2005 and the truck new in 1999. First comment is I wish I had bought a 1999 3/4 F250 in the first place, but alas, at that time I was an active back packer/truck camper, and had no thoughts of buying a camper of any type.! But times change and by 2003-4, I was thinking about and actively looking for a pop-up camper. Soooo, you deal with what you got and go from there! As had been documented here on many threads the problems associated with the 1/2 ton/Granby combination(many of them mine) are numerous and the fix sometimes difficult! .

It took me several years of effort of trying everything to fix my reverse dump and bouncing badly truck. My ford dealer sent me to a local blacksmith who specialized in converting a 1/2 ton rear suspension into a 3/4 one and by far it was the best $500.00 I ever spent, No more things popping as I drove along a gravel road,no more pumping things up with air and measuring my air pressure all the time,no more buying super or reinforced springs, etc., My old truck cruses down the freeways now & gives me a fine back country ride and acts like a new truck. But guys, I sure wish I had bought a 3/4 ton in the first place!

Smoke

Thanks for the info on the 3.5 vs 5.0 engine. I will have to give that some serious consideration. I appreciate all of these viewpoints and take everything into consideration as I know you folks are very knowledgeable and I really am still a noob:) I don't even have a truck yet...lol

Yea looks like a Hawk unless I go for the smaller cab and 8 foot bed. Didn't really want an 8 foot bed. Decisions.....

Grandby on a 1/2 ton short bed will work fine until the day you have to make an emergency maneuver while hitting the brakes. You are also much more limited when off-road. If you decided to do it, research the rear suspension upgrade options, air bags, helper springs, etc., before you buy your truck.

The extra room with a Grandby is very nice to have, but you have to have a truck capable of carrying the camper.

Thanks guys. I can see it is not a good way to go so I will either get an 8' bed or a Hawk:)

Happyjax said:
Thanks guys. I can see it is not a good way to go so I will either get an 8' bed or a Hawk:)
It's not that it's a bad option, it's just a 1/2 ton crew cab requires suspension modifications to make it work that many times is trial and error. That's why if given the choice you go with a 3/4 or 1 ton short bed to use a Grandby if a crew cab and keeping the wheel base as short as possible is important.

DesertDave said:
One thing I remember from my research, as far as the 3.5l Ecoboost vs. the 5.0l. They both have similar torque and HP specs. The Ecoboost MPG beats the 5.0l unladen, but the 5.0l loses a lot less MPG under load than does the Ecoboost.
While details are lacking, I find it interesting that Ford has received a trademark for the term, EcoBeast.

The engine will most likely appear in the redesigned Raptor in 2017. It will be interesting to see the specs on the engine and if it will be available as an option in The King Ranch or other high end F150 models.

I just spent slightly over $2000 to upgrade my suspension by adding Firestone Ride Rite airbags with the in cab air command airbag controller/ compressor which allows me to deflate or inflate singly or doubly both airbags from inside the cab. I Also added a ProComp Add a Leaf set to the rear springs and coil over Bilstein 4600 shocks in the front and Bilstein 4600 shocks in the rear. That covered the parts and installation. http://www.ujointoffroad.com is who installed everything.

I did order a hawk, but I have a 1/2 ton without the payload package. It has a towing package but that's it. I just wanted to be preemptive and be able to address any situations which may arise. Besides I tend to drive a bit rough and carry lots of crap, and I like to go a bit further off road. My front shocks were shot and the add a leaf will help with a little payload and keep my existing springs from wearing out sooner. I also ordered rock sliders from Rock slide engineering out of Logan Utah. http://www.rockslideengineering.com

Back
Top Bottom