Grandby in a full size short box

Mountainblue

Could anybody tell me if there would be any issues with the rear anchor bolts with a Grandby in a short box full size pick up. Concerned that it might be to long to have any where to mount tie down points

I can't speak to your specific truck setup whatever that may be, but our '11 Grandby shell works quite well in the 6.5' bed of a '11 Nissan Titan King Cab. In our case, there's 16" of camper overhang after removing the 70-lb tailgate, with a bonus of being able to suspend "stuff" underneath the overhang (for instance, rear stabilizer scissor jacks). A fully apportioned Grandby might pose a few challenges but in the case of our mostly barebones shell we've encountered no problems. The customary FWC turnbuckle tiedown system has been fine to date, and the turnbuckles seem to be appropriately aligned (it was bought new from FWC in '11, so they looked after all that to make sure the camper could be properly secured to the Titan bed).

I'm running a Grandby in my 6.5' bed Tundra with no issues. I've removed the tailgate and have 4 pressure treated 2x4's running the length of the camper both to support the overhang and to get the clearance necessary for the Tundra's deeper sides. This setup hs been through a number of backroad adventures without any issues thus far (touch wood).

Anyone using a Grandby (shell) w/o the tailgate on a full size short box ? I have a 2011 Ram 2500 CCSB and a 1977 Grandby with 3- 2x4s running longways under the floor to get the height I need and to support the floor. By the time I put the spacer in front of the camper (4x4; to space back from the front of the bed) I am at the end of the tailgate. So, I guess there is about 23" of overhang sitting on the tailgate. I would like to remove the tail gate.

Thanks for any ideas.

DR, I have a couple pics for you showing my 1" angle iron and secondary support chains for shoring up the overhang, but the WTW uploader isn't working for me lately (Webmaster: I can't believe this is still a problem for folks trying to attach pics!). Please PM me if you'd like me to email them to you.

This is what I did with my short bed F250. I mounted two 2" receivers vertical between the bed and the bumper. Then built a support out of quarter inch aluminum square tube and 3" channel. The whole setup weighs 36 pounds. My tailgate comes in at 82#. Total cost was around $175.
over-hang-support_27023205431_o.jpg
over-hang-support_26487755253_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom