Grandby on 6.5 Dodge Ram 2500?

A

Azxboy

Considering a Grandby for my short bed Dodge 2500 in lieu of a Hawk. Pros and cons?

sample pics for you ...

:)

Attachments

• Grandby on a short bed truck #2.jpg
    Grandby on a short bed truck #2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 488
  • grandby on dodge short bed #1.jpg
    grandby on dodge short bed #1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 625
  • grandby on dodge short bed #2.jpg
    grandby on dodge short bed #2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 636
  • dodge ram 2500 quadcab #1.JPG
    dodge ram 2500 quadcab #1.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 769
Pros = you will get a little bit more room inside the longer camper.

(maybe a nice option if you have kids)

Cons = a little more weight behind the rear axel.

camper sticks out, so if you plan on towing something you might need a simple hitch extender

Attachments

• hitch extender.jpg
    hitch extender.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Hitch Extension.JPG
    Hitch Extension.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 169
I've got a Grandby on a 3/4 ton short bed Dodge.

It works - but most of the camper weight is carried by the rear suspension. This results in the front being a bit light, and the rear a bit heavy - and you can really tell the difference, especially off road. It's not scary "OMG I'm gonna die" bad - but it sure would handle better if some of the weight could be moved to the front axle, especially off road. Airbags (or stiffer springs) will help, so would a heavier sway-bar on the rear.

One other thing to remember - if you leave your tailgate on (as shown in one of the pictures that Stan posted above), be sure you can lower your spare tire with the tailgate down before you load the camper.

I've got a Grandby on a 3/4 ton short bed Dodge.

It works - but most of the camper weight is carried by the rear suspension. This results in the front being a bit light, and the rear a bit heavy - and you can really tell the difference, especially off road. It's not scary "OMG I'm gonna die" bad - but it sure would handle better if some of the weight could be moved to the front axle, especially off road. Airbags (or stiffer springs) will help, so would a heavier sway-bar on the rear.

One other thing to remember - if you leave your tailgate on (as shown in one of the pictures that Stan posted above), be sure you can lower your spare tire with the tailgate down before you load the camper.

The weight distribution was my concern. I guess I would prefer less room of the Hawk vs a less than ideal load/ride scenario. Thanks.

My brother looked into hitch extenders for his truck because he wanted his ATV in the truck while pulling his travel trailer. I don't know which ones he looked at but he says they are only meant for light duty. Apparently they aren't Class V like the OEM on most new trucks and don't work with weight-distribution receivers.

Just thought I would throw out the cautionary note.

If you need better weight balance, you could always buy an ARB Bull Bar and Warn winch for the front. That adds a couple of hundred pounds. Sounds like a great excuse to me ;)

You can get some serious hitch extenders. Very common to see them on dually trucks under 11ft campers towing 20ft trailers or jeeps. Thet have chain and turnbuckle support on the sides, and can have parallel square steel pipe extensions, with weight distribution hitch also. Works fine, gets us to Utah and back no problem :)

My brother looked into hitch extenders for his truck because he wanted his ATV in the truck while pulling his travel trailer. I don't know which ones he looked at but he says they are only meant for light duty. Apparently they aren't Class V like the OEM on most new trucks and don't work with weight-distribution receivers.

Just thought I would throw out the cautionary note.

If you need better weight balance, you could always buy an ARB Bull Bar and Warn winch for the front. That adds a couple of hundred pounds. Sounds like a great excuse to me ;)

Diesel Rams are awfully front heavy. Is something like 4500lb front and 2600 rear axle weight distribution. Camper even sticking past bed will just barely balanced it a tad better. Even with Hemi Rams it will just set it close to 50:50. CTD puts almost 1000lb extra (between engine, transmission,etc) on front axle.

You can get some serious hitch extenders. Very common to see them on dually trucks under 11ft campers towing 20ft trailers or jeeps. Thet have chain and turnbuckle support on the sides, and can have parallel square steel pipe extensions, with weight distribution hitch also. Works fine, gets us to Utah and back no problem :)

Do you have a link to these? I would like to pass it on to my brother.

Do you have a link to these? I would like to pass it on to my brother.

One local example, SuperHitch, 17K lb hitch, can run a 12K lb 48" extension.
http://www.torklift.com/p.php?w_page=superhitch 17K lb 2 tube SuperHitch receiver
http://www.torklift.com/t.php?w_page=supertruss 12K lb 2 tube SuperTruss extender to match

One local example, SuperHitch, 17K lb hitch, can run a 12K lb 48" extension.
http://www.torklift.com/p.php?w_page=superhitch 17K lb 2 tube SuperHitch receiver
http://www.torklift.com/t.php?w_page=supertruss 12K lb 2 tube SuperTruss extender to match

Thanks K7MDL! I'll send these over to my brother. Should help him out.

Back
Top Bottom