Grandby on a short bed... during ruff country travel

Freelheeler

Advanced Member
Like the title suggests I'm looking for insight from folks with Grandby campers on short bed 4x4 trucks. I like the shorter wheel base but can see the benefits of the larger camper. are there any down sides to this sort of combo?

Things that I've considered
  • center of gravity
  • additional weight
  • lack of a tailgate
  • rear approach angle
  • stress on mount points
I currently keep my tailgate on while hauling my ranger II on a tundra, I really appreciate the platform to stand on.

Edit...
I'm looking to purchase a different truck and the grandby would most likely be going a dodge 3/4 4x4 short bed, not the tundra. So this is not a 'how do I make my tundra a 3/4 ton truck' conversation. I typically keep my current camper on full time starting early in the spring and take it off late in the fall.

Freelheeler:

Okay, this question goes along pretty well with one of the several threads we have had on the merits of reinforced springs, air bags and 3/4 vrs 1/2 ton trucks and what ride to expect, so you can get allot of ideas from those other threads. You are going to get allot of comments on this one so let me start. I have a 99 F150 short bed 4x4 (it has a longer than the new ones of today) so, even though I really didn't need them,(weight wise anyway) I didn't like the reverse dump, so-- I started with air bags and had allot of problems with them blowing out as I was driving down the road, so after the third time, I got reinforced specially made rear springs from a local blacksmith shop that was recommended to me by the local Ford dealer and have had no problems. I've had my set up now for over five years! A problem you didn't mention was how do you protect the part of the Granby that sticks out on to the tail gate-chrome it or what. Another one you didn't mention was "will you leave it on full time" or will you take it off between "wanderings-depending on that answer you have different sets of problems and solutions! If you drive slow and careful you should not have any problem with ditches and creeks, but again, I'm sure other people will have different ideas, if I had it to do over again, I would buy a long bed or get a 3/4 ton to go with the Granby and not have those problems! Anyway, hope this helps and enjoy what ever get get in the future!

Smoke

I had my Grandby on my SB RAM 1500 4x4 with air bags. It did okay on the road, but I wasn't comfortable with it on a rough dirt road when it was loaded for a trip. The center of gravity was way too far to the rear of the truck. And towing required a long hitch extender which dramatically limited what I could tow. I also had an "OH SH**" moment when I was going down hill on a curvy road and entered a curve just a little too fast. No big deal with a normal load, but I could feel the rear end push to the outside of the curve. It turned out okay, but the amount of weight behind the rear wheels requires vigilance behind the wheel. The same situation could occur in an emergency maneuver.

A 3/4 ton truck with upgraded suspension may help. But for me, I decided a Grandby should be on a long-bed and a short-bed truck should carry a Hawk. It's a difficult realization because I like the extra room in the Grandby. But I don't want an extended-cab long-bed truck.

I needed a crew cab and when I started looking initially thought I'd be getting a 3/4 ton. After looking at payloads and reading where some were still augmenting suspension on their 3/4 tons decided to go with a 1 ton. You can see what I have in my signature but I definitely didn't want a long bed.

My Grandby is loaded with the tailgate down and my suspension is stock Z71. It handles like there's nothing in the back on or off road. Been on some pretty good jeep trails and the only thing that's turned me around so far has been width between boulders. A couple more inches of lift would be nice for approach and breakover angles but departure hasn't been a problem. You'll definitely decrease departure angle with a hitch extension on the back which I sometimes use when carrying a bike rack. CG hasn't been an issue and shouldn't be because my tongue weight is well in excess any weight the Grandby puts behind the rear wheels.

I purposely went larger for more capacity. I use about 45% of my payload when fully loaded which makes for a very stable off road platform. I didn't want suspension mods to keep things reliable. The brakes are rarely used on steep down hills on the freeway with the exhaust brake and tow mode engaged. I diligently check my tie downs before each trip and inspect how the campers sits in back after each rough road and haven't found any issues to date.

I friend who's a 20 year off road truck camper told me not to waste my time with anything less than a 1 ton. I think in the case of an 8' camper in a 6.5' bed they were right. I'm pretty happy with my set up

If i had it to do again I'd go with a 1 ton but I love my 2500 CTD.

Phil and Loren Serenading Gene and me as we help a family with vehicle problems on the road back to Gonzaga.

IMG_8324.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom