Grandby Roll Over Couch - to - Side Dinette

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
We are trying to decide whether to modify our Grandby, or to replace it. It currently has the roll-over couch, and we would like to convert it to a side dinette. That is, assuming my big feet will leave enough room for The Bride's tootsies under the table.

The cost to modify is certainly more appealing than buying a newer model. My question to owners of the Grandby with side dinette is what is the gold box behind the rear seat (storage/seat back???)? It looks like we would be giving up some storage, but it may be worth it.

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 1.46.55 PM.png

If we decide to replace the camper, we would sell it with the truck that it is currently mounted on. A 2000 Ford F250 Lariat, with 7.3 diesel and extended cab. Anyone think they might be interested? Send me a PM if you would like details.

I currently have both a Hawk with roll over couch and a Grandby with the side dinette (and a Grandby front dinette on order - that's a long story all together).

The space you referring to is where the turn buckle door is. There is some storage space there but it is not really helpful. It is awkward to use and is kind of wasted. I would build a longer bench seat in that area for extra enclosed storage space and have the turn buckle door just inside that space personally. I think it would be a fairly straight forward remodel job.

I originally did not like the Grandby with the side dinette but after spending a week in it with my son, I quite like the set up.
It has a lot of interior room and extra storage space for bags, gear, etc...

It fills way roomier than the roll over couch.

I would do the side dinette, really not that much work. There is a lot more room than the roll over. I did one in my 2002 Hawk and in my 2013 Hawk. I agree with DrJ on making the read seat to just cover the turnbuckle door, that is what I did on my Hawk see pic below. I would make some measurement on where that would put your seat. Get a couple of chairs and set them on the measurements. Have you and your wife set and see if you have enough room for your feet. The swivel table is nice to move out of the way making that area a lot wider.

dinette+3+3+2014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom