Grandby vs Kenai?

MILTON_645

Hey everyone, new to the forum and doing my research on deciding on my first TC purchase. I'm having "analysis paralysis" between the Scout Kenai (with rooftop tent) and the FWC Grandby. I'm aware one is a hard-side and the other is a pop-up and I see positives and negatives of both. Price new would be about the same I believe. We have 2 little school-age boys and hope to use the camper year-round for camping, ski season, tailgating, in town, etc. It will be on my daily driver 1-ton Chevy long-bed truck with plenty of payload for either builld.

I know this is a FWC sub-forum but looking to hear some thoughts on either of these and why you chose FWC over other brands when making this decision.

Cheers!
Andy from Colorado

I think it comes down to whether or not you are comfortable with a hard side vs pop up.. I like the pop up because it is way more enjoyable to drive especially in windy conditions. With two young kids though, the roof top might be a nice way to have more space. These campers get small real quick..

i think either option u present would be great. with your first camper, i would go easy on the bells and whistles. once you have owned one, and used it for awhile - thats when you really understand what u want, or not :) . good luck. i went with ATC on a gmc, and it was great.

Andy, I have an ATC Cougar here in Boulder CO that is all set up for a family of 4 and I have been thinking of selling. Let me know via PM.

With the RTT you will have the same interior condensation issues as a popup camper (or any camper actually) in weather conditions suitable for condensation. A bit larger air dam with the Scout, particularly with the RTT so perhaps lower fuel mileage.

Solar panels might be a bit more of a challenge for the Scout with RTT (I suppose they could be put on the roof of the RTT or even hinged off of the side of the main camper body.

I suspect that the Scout configuration will be heavier - again fuel mileage.

Overhead clearance height is worth thinking about of you go off road. The Scout with RTT looks to me to be significantly taller than a Grandby.

My camping experience references: I have camped in a Camp-o-Tel (the original RTT), a 1950's tent trailer, a dodge pickup with bed cap and fold out sleeping benches over the truck bed wheel wells. a VW bus with DIY bed, a VW Vanagon with DIY bed, A Dodge Van with DIY bed, big walk in tents, small backpacking tents, (none of the previous had a cooktop, fridge, pressurized water, water heater or toilet), an Alaskan camper, a 26 ft Airstream trailer, a 16 ft Shasta trailer, , a mid-1980's FWC Keystone pop-up camper and a 2007 FWC Keystone pop-up camper with a solar system.

For our needs the FWC Keystone on the Dodge clubcab 4x4 diesel truck has been the best combination because we like to boondock and go off pavement. In my experience the trailers get beat up on rough roads and there are some places where backing up or navigating ditches is a PITA. Yes, it is nice to be able to drop them and then use the tow vehicle for exploring and getting around while leaving the trailer to "hold down" the campsite. We carry a cheap easy the set up bug awning to cover our folding dining table and when we want to use the truck to leave camp we just leave the awing set up to hold our spot.

For short tips vans with convertible beds are fine and you can still use them for utility. The camper vans are barely big enough for two people in my opinion and the built in kitchen and bed significantly limit the use for any other purpose..

I need my vehicle to serve multiple purposes. Commuting, hauling stuff and carrying the camper.

If I did not use my truck without the camper on it as much as I do (camper goes on and off once or twice a year). Then I would look hard at a flatbed camper. I have long lusted for an XP/Nimbl type camper but the cost has been a significant impediment and frankly we don't really need that step up.

Because of the cost of any of camper and vehicle choices (even mods if you already have a suitable vehicle) I recommend thinking about how you think you will use your camper (duration of trips, who will be using it, etc) and where (climate and weather as well as terrain. Then make a comprehensive list of needs and pros and cons of the various types of camper choices to maximize the chances you will get something that maximally suits your needs for the next 5 or so years (your needs will likely change at some point in the future).

Whichever way you go I strongly encourage you to seriously consider including an appropriately sized solar system and house battery.

I hope this is helpful

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom