Gratitude for our veterans on Veterans' Day

Foy

Resident Geologist
On today's date I heartily thank all who served or are currently serving in the armed forces of the United States.

My own thanks go first to my nephew, an officer on active duty with the 82nd Airborne posted at Fort Bragg, NC, and a combat veteran with Middle East 4 deployments under his belt, 3 of which were to Iraq and Afghanistan. He just returned from 3 months in Kuwait, and he left his wife (also an Army officer) and their two small children at home on post while deployed.

Next goes to his brother, a former officer and combat veteran who served in the 101st Air Assault Division and who survived a combat tour as a 2LT platoon leader along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border back in 2010-2011.

Last but far from least to my younger son, who enlisted in the US Navy in 2006 knowing full well that his chosen field (the Naval Construction Battalions, or Seabees) would likely be subject to deployment to a combat zone, and it was. He served 8 months in Afghanistan in 2013-2014 and managed to get shot at--a lot--while flying into and away from FOBs and COPs where he'd been sent to repair and maintain base and post utility systems.

To all veterans, Thank You!

Foy

Just got off the phone (as we do every Veterans Day) with the guy I joined the Army with -talked how next month it will be 57 years ago (getting old) that we were running around the sand dunes in good old A53 (pride of the infantry) at Fort Ord, California. I'm never sure of how as a vet to respond (or even if I should respond) to Veterans Day threads, other than to say- please remember those who didn't come back!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom