Gray water pipe on Raven

BobM

This concept has been posted before but I thought I'd show this to Raven owners. I made a previous gray water bag that fit in the side of the truck because I was too lazy to take the camper off the truck. Well, I decided I needed to see how easy it would be so I decided to make a permanent gray water storage pipe out of 4" ABS pipe, hose fittings and pipe clamps. The photos show the finished product:
20130430_103330.jpg
20130430_104516.jpg
20130430_104528.jpg
20130430_124402 copy.jpg

You are going to like it. I did about the same tank on my Hawk and it is so nice not to have to get the hose and bucket out.

Bill in STockton

I think it was your post that inspired me. I went to Home depot yesterday and had all the parts in my head so I was so glad it all worked perfectly. I also used abs-pvc special adhesive per the home depot recommendations. The pipe is about a 1/4" thick so it should last a long time. I agree the water bag was such a pain. With this you can use the sink any time and since it's gray water you can drain it at your convenience.

I reread your post and noticed that I posted my first attempt using a custom foodsaver bag which worked great but I was always concerned that it would burst. I was surprised how easy it was to take the camper off the truck. Even more amazed that I got it on the first try after seeing what little clearance I had

Bob,

Really nice job! How many gallons does it hold?

Haven't measured in gallons. I did empty it into the FWC gray water bag they sell and it filled it to 2/3~3/4 full. So it's good for a couple of dish washings etc. More importantly and the reason I wanted to install it is you can make a quick stop on the road and wash your hands etc. without hooking anything up. I also just added a small hose behind the bumper so you can drain it on the road since it's just soapy water

I just measured the capacity using an empty gallon milk jug. It holds 3 1/4 gallons. One could go crazy and put another pipe on the right side:>)

So far I just let mine drain down the side of the truck but I am always in the woods or the desert somewhere and it's just water... (when we use soap, it's biodegradable campsuds) :) For those other cases, this looks fantastic!! I guess the "input" hose is still outside the camper/coming down the side and you take it on/off?

Here's the latest add I did. Added a flexible hose that goes behind and underneath the bumper for draining in the street:
drain behind bumper.jpg

Do you have a picture of the side of the camper/how it's routed?

I do now:
Drain side view.jpg

P.S. I have 5 1/2' of the ABS pipe left over for anyone in the OC area. The whole length was $25 so I will sell for $10 and take you to the local home depot for the other parts. Offer good for the next week since I will forget where everything is after that:>)

P.S. I have 5 1/2' of the ABS pipe left over for anyone in the OC area. The whole length was $25 so I will sell for $10 and take you to the local home depot for the other parts. Offer good for the next week since I will forget where everything is after that:>)

PP.SS. If anyone tries this notice the green adhesive near the PVC/ABS areas. That's a special ABS-PVC glue for that type of application. For this project I used ABS glue for the end caps. PVC glue for the PVC fittings and the ABS-PVC glue for intake and drain connections.

I like this. Can someone explain the idea of the breather tube - how does it go into the pipe and where does the other end go?

I like this. Can someone explain the idea of the breather tube - how does it go into the pipe and where does the other end go?

All I did was drill a hole the diameter of the hose I used (about 3/8) in the top of the end cap about 2" away from the inlet hose. I then routed it between the cab and truck bed.

The reason I put a breather hose in is to prevent back pressure as the water filled the ABS pipe. It's mainly there to let air escape but if the pipe fills up, water will escape out there. I sealed it with silicon caulking. You can see the photo (3rd photo) on the beginning of this thread. Water only escapes when the pipe is full.

Bob - a couple more questions. How did you attach the PVC fittings to the ABS? Looks like 3/4 PVC - did you just drill a 3/4 hole and insert the PVC fitting and glue, or did you actually tap/thread the ABS and use a male PVC fitting and glue. Also, where is your shut-off valve - is it the black or yellow piece near the outlet? Where can I get that?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom