Gray water; winter FWC use

Foy

Resident Geologist
Gents and ladies,

New here, and seriously inspired to join the FWC "club". Been looking at such equipment for 4-5 years, but only now serious about pulling the trigger. Here are a few simple questions:

It appears the only tank on the FWC is a fresh water tank. Any gray water from the sink, or from a newer Keystone's inside shower "enclosure" simply drains outside, where I've seen pics some of you have posted for a bucket system or other (responsible) collection methods. Is this correct?

I mentioned the Keystone's inside shower set-up due to some contemplated use for overnighting in winter at ski hills in MT and ID. Might want some rudimentary showering in the heated interior. I imagine catching the gallon or two from each quick shower would be simple enough, and in-offensive disposal simple enough, too. My present thinking along these lines is probably not more than 2 nights in a row in the camper, three at the most, with a night or two in a motel in between. Will I just be catching the drain outside the camper, like sink gray water?

I envision hard winter use, particularly where the camper would be unoccupied w/no heat running during the ski day, would preclude use of the fresh water system altogether. It's not unusual for the daytime highs to reach only the teens or low twenties at ski area parking lot elevations. Is this your expectation?

I wonder what the cassette toilet (what we in North Carolina call a Suitcase Full of.......) operations might be in Rocky Mtn winters. I think myself and the wife, or self and ski-bum buddy, would certainly need to access conventional toilet facilities in the ski operations buildings to the fullest extent possible, but most of these offbeat ski mountains close up tight by sunset and don't open for the next day's skiers until 9:00-9:30am the next day. Having a cassette or a porta-potti seems mandatory, but what about freeze-up?

Has anybody experimented with a little (and quiet) Honda gennie mounted on a hitch-haul rack mounted in a front receiver hitch? I wonder if overnight power from such a unit might run a 1,500 watt oil-filled heater to provide some overnight heat, where keeping a forced-air furnace lit in windy ski mountain conditions might be a challenge, and where I just have some trouble getting comfortable with propane appliances inside a camper unit.

Any answers, thoughts, ideas, personal experiences much appreciated.

Foy
Newbie from NC

Yes hose & bucket is the standard configuration.

Rather than a built in shower I'd be inclined to use a Rubbermaid tub for water containment/collection, then you can pour this out some place reasonable and avoid potential freeze up of a hose assembly. That's just my preference.

As for any fluids in the camper such as fresh water tank, toilet, etc. you'll need to maintain the camper temps above freezing if you want to avoid issues. Dropping the top while you are gone will decrease heat loss a bunch but either way you'd need to run the forced air furnace or a catalytic heater in there while you're on the slopes.

If you don't plan to use much water then just using jugs instead of the tank is a nice piece of mind in the winter temps.

Check Walmart's RV section for RV anti-freeze. This is specially formulated for RV black water systems. That way you can use the cassette and still be able to empty it without a hammer and chisel. :eek:

Mike

...just using jugs instead of the tank is a nice piece of mind in the winter temps.

This is what I do, as I sometimes camp in high-desert winters with lows in the teens or even near zero, and I don't want to be worried about keeping the interior warm enough 24 hours/day....including when I'm driving for several hours. And the plumbing is somewhat isolated from the interior warmth, anyway.
I have a 2.5 and a 5-gallon carboy for water when I do this, and I just set the carboy up on the counter with the spigot over the sink.

I've camped in the teens at night and my grey water bucket froze solid as did the drain hose. If it was going to be that cold all the time I would not leave any of the system connected longer than I needed it.

I've camper in the teens at night and my grey water bucket froze solid as did the drain hose. If it was going to be that cold all the time I would not leave any of the system connected longer than I needed it.

Good point! -- this has happened to me, too. When it froze like that the ice extended up into the drain plumbing, so I couldn't use the sink until I'd gotten it thawed. I poked a screwdriver up the drain hole from the outside to try to speed the thawing along
rolleyes.gif
...as well as pouring boiling water down the drain from the inside.

Good point! -- this has happened to me, too. When it froze like that the ice extended up into the drain plumbing, so I couldn't use the sink until I'd gotten it thawed. I poked a screwdriver up the drain hole from the outside to try to speed the thawing along
rolleyes.gif
...as well as pouring boiling water down the drain from the inside.

I had a similar issue last winter. Did you ever get anything to clear the line? I tried boiling water too but it would just hit the iced part and freeze up again. Maybe some kind of anti-freeze (iso-alcohol?). I was thinking of using some of foam tube insulation but I am not sure if that would help at all? Any ideas? I didn't have any issues with the main water tank freezing, but I learned to open all of the exterior access ports and to keep a bottle of WD-40 on hand at all times for the door locks.

If you don't mind the extra expense, you might add some RV antifreeze to the greywater bucket before you start collecting water. Obviously the antifreeze will become diluted as more and more greywater is added. At some point, it will become a big snowcone but this will be temperature dependant. Since RV antifreeze is classified as 'non-toxic' you should be able to dump it. I have used this system for trailers up here in Canada. I was careful to make sure of the regulations before I dumped anything. The city close to where I live lets folks dump at their treatment stations and they said RV antifreeze was fine. However, best to check.

If you don't mind the extra expense, you might add some RV antifreeze to the greywater bucket before you start collecting water.

That's a great idea dog, thanks! Until now, I've just made sure to pull the hose out of the container before nightfall. If it's frozen in the morning, I'll just set it inside near the heater, or just put the lid on it and forget about it.

If you don't mind the extra expense, you might add some RV antifreeze to the greywater bucket before you start collecting water. Obviously the antifreeze will become diluted as more and more greywater is added. At some point, it will become a big snowcone but this will be temperature dependant. Since RV antifreeze is classified as 'non-toxic' you should be able to dump it. I have used this system for trailers up here in Canada. I was careful to make sure of the regulations before I dumped anything. The city close to where I live lets folks dump at their treatment stations and they said RV antifreeze was fine. However, best to check.

It does not take much propane to keep the inside warm with the top down. Just be sure the area near heater is free of clutter. So while we are away from the camper we keep the inside at about 55. We have had the grey water hose freeze up so putting antifreeze in the grey water container won't stop that. Better just to disconnect it and empty soon after you have used it. For really cold weather we drain the entire water system and work off 5 gallon tapped containers. They sit very nicely by the sink and run almost as well as the central supply. But that won't help showers. Not sure what to recommend there.

Might consider a PETT system - or this cool adaptation.

My 3gal gray water bucket serves as my emergency kitty litter toilet. :p However I'm planning for a space for a regular use loo on the new camper for the trips that warrant it.

Back
Top Bottom