Grease Guns

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Does anyone have a recommendation for a high quality grease gun/cartridge that won't leak oil in hot weather? I carry one any time I am towing, and I'm tired of the mess.

Plastic garbage bag. Its what I resort to when I feel that I need to take one along, which is rare. I also tend to take the one with Redline CV-2 grease in it as that grease doesn't seem to separate quite like most others. I've worn out my interest in the vehicle before I've worn out the Timkin or Koyo wheel bearings packed with that grease.

I'm curious to read what others do too.

I posed the Sam question on the C-Brats, (CDory boating forum) and got a few recommendations, plus a neat idea for keeping the mess under control. Several people mentioned Lincoln grease guns as being high quality and perhaps leaking less than others. The Lincoln 1134 was highly regarded. Colby Smith offered a clipping of a holster made out of PVC.

image.jpeg

93781a4a336436d259a48827ddf18bba.jpg

I stick the end of my grease gun hose in the inner core of a used up roll of paper towel.

If you are feeling ambitious, the pic up above is a pretty nifty DIY job.

Saw a lot of them, and fired a few in SEA in 68~69. You could control the rate of fire by unscrewing the barrel and changing head-space, from very slow to so fast they would jam. Interesting old gun..

When I was racing we carried them upside down (like what is shown in post #3) with a zerk fitting stuck in the hose end. No mess; but then we were using them often.

jim

I carry one in a 6"piece of PVC pipe with a cap glued on on one end and a slip on cap on the other end. I carry it on end and keep a couple of paper towels in the bottom to soak up the leaks. You can carry an extra cartridge too. Grease guns are part of a love/hate relationship as far as I'm concerned. They always run out of grease or air lock in the middle of a project. Enjoy the summer, Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave said:
I carry one in a 6"piece of PVC pipe with a cap glued on on one end and a slip on cap on the other end. I carry it on end and keep a couple of paper towels in the bottom to soak up the leaks. You can carry an extra cartridge too. Grease guns are part of a love/hate relationship as far as I'm concerned. They always run out of grease or air lock in the middle of a project. Enjoy the summer, Bigfoot Dave
A big part of the reason that they develop air locks is most people don't bother to read the instructions.

After inserting a tube of grease you are NOT supposed to screw the head on tight until the gun is primed, thus allowing air to purge during the priming process.

I'm not saying this applies to you, but I hope this helps somebody out.

Bill D said:
A big part of the reason that they develop air locks is most people don't bother to read the instructions.

After inserting a tube of grease you are NOT supposed to screw the head on tight until the gun is primed, thus allowing air to purge during the priming process.

I'm not saying this applies to you, but I hope this helps somebody out.
That is part of the standard loading process but doesn't always work. Then there's the half a turn too far as i'm trying to clear the air lock and things get real interesting in a hurry HiHi. Sometimes a guy needs a bit of excitement in his life!

Back
Top Bottom