Great Information on Rattlesnakes

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Julie and I both love snakes. They are amazing creatures, rattlesnakes included. We consider ourselves darn lucky when we are blessed to come upon a rattler. We both enjoyed this video and learned a few more valuable facts.

ski3pin said:
... love snakes. They are amazing creatures, rattlesnakes included. We consider ourselves darn lucky when we are blessed to come upon a rattler...
I feel the same way about them tail-rattlin' cuties!
Thanks for the link, Mr. 3pin!

MarkBC said:
I feel the same way about them tail-rattlin' cuties!
Thanks for the link, Mr. 3pin!
Them ain’t tail-rattlin' cuties, them’s buzz-worms, and given a respectful distance, I am purty fond of them, too.

Edit: I just finished watching, that’s great. Adrian’s enthusiasm for sand advocacy for the rattlesnakes is wonderful. I like the way Nick (Nick on the Rocks) conducted the interview. Mr. 3Pi, thanks for sharing!

full

Ahh loves me a buzz-worm!

Thanks,very fascinating video.
I also enjoy snakes and give them the respect they deserve.

We used to keep a 'Pet" Corn Snake that a friend hatched.
Sharon would keep it in her kinder classroom so the kids could watch it.
When it was time to feed it only a few kids wanted to watch the snake eat the live mouse.

Frank

Speaking of snakes eating mice... I saw and captured this life and death rattler-rodent drama back in 2014 in Grand Staircase Escalante, UT;

Rattler&Rat-1.jpg

In our area the weather has been great. Now that the weekend storm went through the overnight temps have been 21 ish. Snakes are moving toward hibernation and they are being ran over in the neighborhood due to they like the warm asphalt.

Here is a Pacific Gopher Snake about 3 -4 feet long that got ran over on our street yesterday. I moved it to it's final resting place to recycle into another animal.
20221024_171753_resized.jpg

Thanks! What a cool lady. I just cringe and have to bight my tongue when someone says “the only good snake is a dead snake”.
I think my next hike will have completely different objective.

We did a short backpacking trip and I was in the lead. Passed a rattlesnake sunning itself. Later my buddy asks me why I killed it. Huh? No idea whatever happened but to this day I think he still thinks I killed it. I'm pretty much in the don't bother me and I won't bother you camp.

Speaking of rattlers! Hey Mark BC , remember that time over on that desert over look on the east side of the Steens- Rush Creek(?)-Ya know it was not to much after my faithful border collie Bob, got bit on the head by a rattler over by "Donner and Blitzen "Creek, and I was telling you how he never forgot about being bit, and would go on snake patrol as soon as soon as camp was set up. I remember we just sat there and watched him as he walked back and forth in the sage and after a while, we wandered out to see what he found and yep-he found a snake-wasn't a rattler, just a garter snake-I think, been a while. he didn't kill it or anything-just wanted know if snakes were around I guess! Allot of the places we go, we need a good snake dog!

Smoke

As mentioned earlier, I have an unfounded irrational issue with snakes, particularly buzztails. Yikes, sends shivers down my spine! Jill has already encountered several this year while riding Willow. One actually slithered under the horse as they were meandering up a trail. Hills surrounding Camarillo, Ventura County.

Back
Top Bottom