Great Photos of the Early West

Thanks for the link, ski.
smile.gif

Very interesting to see how stuff looked... before.

Fremont at the Pyramid (1840s):
Fremonts.jpg
(click to enlarge)

O'Sullivan at the Pyramid (1860s) :
Pyramid Islands.jpg

Stew at the Pyramid 2007):
ATC03ess.jpg
Note: The ATC is parked below the waterline shown the 19th Century photo since much of the Truckee River's flow has been diverted for desert farming by the Newlands Reclamation Act of 1902. The white bathtub ring above lake level shows the old waterline.

Fremont at the Pyramid (1840s):
View attachment 16057
(click to enlarge)

O'Sullivan at the Pyramid (1860s) :
View attachment 16058

Stew at the Pyramid 2007):
View attachment 16059
Note: The ATC is parked below the waterline shown the 19th Century photo since much of the Truckee River's flow has been diverted for desert farming by the Newlands Reclamation Act of 1902. The white bathtub ring above lake level shows the old waterline.

I love those comparisons. :)

I love those comparisons. :)

Yes! Thanks Stew. It still hurts to remember that Derby Dam decimated the Pyramid Lake strain of Lahontan Cutthroat Trout by eliminating the access to their spawning grounds.

Enjoyed the photos and the comparisons to the present. Kind of the reverse of the usual shots showing the before and after of the flooding of canyons as a result of dams.

Here is a modern day photographer who compared older with present day photography Tom Till

As a photographer, I wish I could have been present 100 years ago and more to see the West before "civilization and progress". There is nowhere else in the world I would rather be for photography than the Colorado Plateau.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes! Thanks Stew. It still hurts to remember that Derby Dam decimated the Pyramid Lake strain of Lahontan Cutthroat Trout by eliminating the access to their spawning grounds.

Yes Ski that was a shame,but I think that's where the Cal.DFG got the fish that are raised at Heenan and repopulated throughout the Sierras.At least that what I have been told by folks at Heenan.

Frank

Yes Ski that was a shame,but I think that's where the Cal.DFG got the fish that are raised at Heenan and repopulated throughout the Sierras.At least that what I have been told by folks at Heenan.

Frank

Frank, from what I understand Lahontan Cutthroat from other sources were stocked into Pyramid after the Pyramid strain died off and was thought to be extinct. A possible population (planted in the early days from Pyramid) of pure Pyramid strain was later found in Donner Creek.
Story here
Since that time I've heard they are adding original strain to Pyramid to hybridize with the current population and work back to huge trout.

Back
Top Bottom