Greetings form a new guy.

Puffins

Hello all,

My name is Mike and I've been lurking around the site for awhile. My wife and I just got back from our first big trip in our rig and thought I should share. I know we all love photos so here are some from our trip and I'll stick some around as appropriate. Also check out www.puffinranch.com for my wifes blog from the road with musings and pictures.

Quick Bio: I'm a firefighter from the central coast/south bay with a 95 hawk attached to a 99 GMC Z71 Sierra that I bought from my in laws when they went bigger. I've added a couple of awnings, a propane T, and general refurb since I took possession.

Last trip: 3,200+ miles in 13 days, 6 states. Death valley, Lake Mead, Sedona AZ, Santa Fe NM, Taos NM(the destination), Mesa Verde, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Mono Lake/Yosemite.

OK, OK, here are some pics,
Thanks Mike
Left to Right: Death Valley Charcoal Kilns, Kaibab NF Grand Canyon Camp, View out of back door, Lake Tioga CA

Attachments

• charcoal_kilns.jpg
    charcoal_kilns.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 715
  • grand_canyon_camp.jpg
    grand_canyon_camp.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 714
  • grandcanyondoorview.jpg
    grandcanyondoorview.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 696
  • lake_tioga.jpg
    lake_tioga.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 693
Mike:

Welcome to the forums. I've been busy of late, not on as much as I'd like. Did hear you put on some awnings (as in plural). One on the back? This has been a very big topic, especially for those up here in the Pacific rainy northwest. Do share your awning experiences. We'd love to hear them.

Dave in Seattle

Nice rig and welcome to the forum. I like the bike rack, did you you find bugs to be a problem? Also sounds like you you did the trip of a life time. That's the joy of these campers, go any where any time.

Cheers,

Mike

mike welcome...nice pics, thanks! always like more of course...interior, etc. multiple awnings? cool, please do tell. anyway, glad you made it, sounds like a great trip, nice blog, and look forward to hearing more of your adventures. cheers!

welcome

Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Say hi to your in laws for me. If they bought the camper new, I sold it to them.

Sounds like a great second generation camper getting some use. Looking forward to more pictures and descriptions of your add ons.

Thanks for the warm welcome,
Here is my awning set up. The side is a shady boy, I used the supplied brackets and bent them into a U.
The rear is built off a boat roller the a previous owner, I far as I know I'm the fourth, made out of galvanized pipe with PVC. I cut some T adapters open to pinch on to the roller and built a frame of that. The yakimas were also previous put on and non adjustable so I tie a tarp all the way back for rain or just to the roller for sun.I raised the middle rafter up with 45s for height and rain. All fittings are just pressure fit for break down and later adjustment. The legs are adjustable poles from a camping store that fit to eye bolts a screwed into the inside of the elbows. They rest on the ground or closet pole brackets on the rear to keep them up. I also made tie downs with spring clamps and rope for wind. Currently it is set up for a 6'X8' tarp but is a work in progress like everything else.
Hope that is clear as mud for ya.
Haven't done a whole lot of field test yet but both have been through mederte winds on the coast and desert.

Attachments

• awningroller.jpg
    awningroller.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 682
  • rearawningframe.jpg
    rearawningframe.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 666
  • rearawning.jpg
    rearawning.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 736
  • twoawnings.jpg
    twoawnings.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 693
  • rearawningcamping.jpg
    rearawningcamping.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 730
now that is sweet! nice work! thanks for the pics mike!

Mike, like that rear awning. Will have to look it over and design one for myself. I have the shady boy, but have yet to mount it, been too busy. How are the bolts placed into the camper? Do you have clearance for the hold down brackets?

good to see!

thanks

dave

Dave,

I used the supplied brackets and bolts. I bent the Westfalia bracket into a U and directly bolted it to the side. So far so good, no signs of wanting to tear out. Clearance is just right with the brackets for the latches. I did have to swap the supplied allen bolt with a regular head so I could tighten the shady boy to the bracket.

Here the bracket Pic,
If i did it again I might turn the bracket over. Seems like 6 of one?

Attachments

• shady_bracket.jpg
    shady_bracket.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 429
Mike, I'm a firefighter in Aptos. Are you close? I'd like to check out that rear awning set up you have. I also have a ShadyBoy awning. Pretty happy with it. There was quite a bit of talk about awnings a while back. Some threads about rear awnings too. Brian has a pretty nice design. I'm still working on finding the time to mess w/ the rear awning. Looks like you have a nice set up. Don't think I've seen it around the Santa Cruz area. You must be "over the hill".
Thanks for the pics

Dirtydog can probably explain better

When you're logged in you will see in the upper right hand corner of just about any page you are viewing, just to the right of the title of the thread, below the first level menu which is below the Wander the West header, a section that says "Welcome [login name]." Just below that you will see a link to your private messages. In consideration of Dirtydog and the cost of administering this group I try to keep my private messages empty.

Hayduke, If you didn't get my PM email me though the site, I just enabled it. Your email messaging is disabled. I'll be around in Aptos starting on my 4 day Tuesday.I don't want to post my email due to spam crawlers.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom