Grey water disposal in sub-freezing weather

N'kwala

Geezelle
Hi,

Heading out into winter country soon and trying to think of pre-emptive stuff. I rigged a grey water disposal as per Ski3s posting http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7651-gray-water-disposal/?p=85668 which works just dandy in temperate conditions, but I'm thinking it will have problems when it gets down into the sub-20s.

Do I just wash up in a plastic basin, dump into a bucket and empty in the biffy? (Seems inconvenient.) I'm thinking I've got my water system pretty well insulated and should be ok but then I got thinking of disposal and now I'm not so sure.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Please?

If it was me I think I'd set up my exterior drain hose and bucket to catch the grey water and add a bottle of some eco-friendly antifreeze to it. Something animal safe of course. One thing you could add is a bottle of rubbing alcohol. It'll lower the freezing point but I'm not sure by how much and with that much water.

We add an antifreeze solution to our cabin drains and toilet bowls in the fall. This stuff is cheap and would likely work well if it was safe.

Back
Top Bottom