Grouse Ridge

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We've been exploring our backyard. We get a lot of bang for the buck by leaving after work on Friday evening and returning on Sunday. We are lucky to have access to the Grouse Ridge area, a glaciated range of metamorphic and granitic formations between 7,000 and 8,000' with wooded basins and numerous lakes. Gold mining was the driving development of the water networks and roads in the 1850's and later. Now, it's a camping/hiking mecca, as nice as Tahoe, but with much less people. The central section was declared a roadless area, some time ago and now has a network of hiking trails and dirt road access to backcountry lakes. The OHV gang is well represented.

From the Grouse Ridge Lookout you can see Mt. Lassen to the north and the Crystal Range to the south. We usually approach from Hwy 20, just east of Nevada City. This time we decided to approach from Truckee to get to the east side of the range, which includes the Black Buttes. Travelers along Hwy 80 from Sacramento will see many of the prominent features of this area, looking to the north before Cisco Grove.

Our route was round-about. We first went to Truckee, then north on 89 to the Jackson Meadows turnoff on old Henness Pass. Henness Pass was the original route from Marysville, where steamers coming from SF up the delta could unload freight, to be trucked across the Sierra to Reno. The wagon trains were legendary. This was the supply chain for the Comstock Lode.

Our travels were much easier, still on pavement for 11 miles, then south on Meadow Lake Road, a graded dirt road for another 9 miles. Unbelievable, that in 25 years of living here I haven't gone down this particular stretch, 'tho I did mtn bike a portion once. Meadow Lake was the site of Summit City, a brief townsite that had a pop. of 5,000 in the 1860's. Wonder if DD has any info?

We almost took one of the lakeside PG&E camp spots along the road, but pressed on as the sun set in the west. I had done my google map homework earlier that day and had a good idea we could find a spot in a meadow above the lake and away from other people. We noticed a number of sites with quads and other 4x4 toys, although the last three miles discourage larger trailers or RV types.

Our site was perfect, except for the large mosquito population. SR gave me an anxious stare as I backed into a turn out in the mule ear meadow and twenty plus hungry mosquos were hovering at her window.
"We're not going to camp here, are we???" I suggested there were going to be the buggers no matter where we camped. Since our only other choice was the lakeside spot ($15/night), we decided to stay. We were positioned at the trail head to approach French Lake.

This was our morning coffee view, from just above camp.

This trip is the completion of a desire I hatched five years ago while summiting a nearby mountain (English Mtn), where I saw this jewel of a lake. There are no trails that go there. The only road is gated, by the irrigation district. My research put us on a over-grown jeep track filled with ten year old pines, growing densely and plenty of deadfalls. It was two miles and 700'descent of bushwacking.

But, at last, I had found French Lake.

The day was young, and we had many more miles still to go.
to
be
continued

Looks great, Andy. :)

I wish we had beautiful granite-lined lakes like that in Oregon...>sigh<...
(I guess we do, in the Wallowas...but that's a small area)

Sure does look nice up there, when a younger man was i back packed all though that country, and south down the crest. Thanks guys, this gives me another place to think about taking my FWC and maybe taking a hike-maybe even a short over night backpack with my border collie Bob-sure he'd like it! Nice pictures and nice memories!

Smoke

Meadow Lake is the basecamp for the Sierra Trek. DD probably does know a bit about it. Lots of gold but it was extremely difficult to separate from the surrounding ore. The area gets a lot of snow. In the winter the town was buried in snow. Travel was through tunnels dug between buildings.

I think I know french lake. Never knew the name but you can drive out to an open ridge area before the roads are closed. I think I've seen it. Or maybe I'm thinking of one of the other little lakes nestled around in the area.

What can you say about a day that begins at 830am and ends at 7pm? :oops:
We didn't know how far or long the hike might be. It was a xc loop that I had scoped out, connecting French Lk to Baltimore (with a bail out option of taking the Beyers Lk Trail) and if we were still frisky, visit Wagon Wheel Lk, site of Baltimore City and finally Phoenix Lk, the holy grail.
There are no real trails that connect any of these dots. :eek:

Before we left French Lk, we decided a mandatory dip was in order.

We skirted a dome on the south side, scanning slabs for the Martis petroglyphs. The views were sublime.

The heat of day was upon us and the next stretch was a 500' gain, which is not a big deal unless you are bushwacking and it's hot. I steered us from one shade spot to the next, route finding the most open terrain.

Wild flowers were peaking.

Mariposa Lily

Asters

Soon enough we hit the Beyers Lk Trail, which has an eastern terminus near Meadow Lk. The trail was faintly used, but was in fact a trail. It was the only trail of the day, for about 1/2 a mile.

The smell of campfire wafted towards us, informing us of backpackers nearby at Baltimore Lk.

Soon enough we met a fellow tending a smokey fire, in the warm mid-day. Perhaps he was discouraging mosquitos, or just enjoying the ambiance of a fire. He told us this trip was planned a year ago, from two hospital beds, where he and a newly met friend were recovering from neck and back surgery respectively. We were impressed that the bond these two men created, was strong enough a year later to act on a trip. His friend was running back to their vehicle, only a half hour out, he said. His friend has been here at least twenty times. We wished him and his buddy good luck and headed out to find Wagon Wheel Lk, our next objective, and the site of Baltimore City.

The smaller lakes that dot the area are filled with blue dragonflies.

Wagon Wheel Lk showed no signs of the previous township. We could see how the flat meadow, bordering the lake would be easy to build upon. Mining was apparent anywhere dark (hornblend?) mineral was concentrated, with numerous 'coyote' holes. The meadow was filled with Shooting Stars (and mosquitos, forcing our march away post haste).

The next stretch was obscure with minimal trail sign. Brush gullies and slabs were enclosed by a collection of domes, offering a number of possible routes. We blundered along, with me scanning for the alleged petroglyphs (Meadow Lk is a historical petroglyph site, with undisclosed location). We reached a high dome and looked to the west, overlooking Hwy 80, Spaulding Reservoir for the first time on this route.

The afternoon grew long as we scouted the right col to connect with Phoenix Lk, just below the north face of Old Man Mtn. Thankfully, I had GPS and a downloaded map on my phone to navigate the micro-terrain.

At last we arrived at Phoenix Lake. Can you see the bird rising (from the ashes)?

It was hot and we were bothered. We promptly jumped in and swam to an islet to claim our own. Except for the lone backpacker, we hadn't seen a soul the whole day. At this point, we figured we were about six miles along our adventure. Susan's water bag was near empty, and I still had maybe 16 oz in my 100 oz. bladder. We decided to fill her bag with the pristine waters of Phoenix Lk and to try and use only my waterbag to get us home.

Our sojourn was coming to and end. It was now 330pm and we were as far away from the truck as possible. Time to head back home!

The rest of the slog was not a 'flat traverse across slabs' (as I advertised it to Susan), but more of a mix of slab and the dreaded brush gullies. Our goal was the Excelsior Mine, below Meadow Lk. The late afternoon heat of a July day beat us down a bit and we resorted to swigging off Susan's raw water. So far so good! ;)

We eventually connected with the Fordyce Trail and walked the road back, checking out the 4X4 dudes.

My mantra for the last three miles was, "I've got a nice cold beer waiting for me . . ."
Yes! We trudged the last bit, noticing how much longer it feels on foot, than when we drove in the night before. The beauty was, we didn't have to go anywhere! I popped a Tecate and Susan stretched out on the bed in our Hawk. Life was good. Another adventure ticked off the list! :) We figure we did about twelve miles round trip. I would know more accurately, but the GPS tracking just eats phone batteries, so I resorted to only taking sporadic fixes, then putting the phone back to sleep.

I'll recap our last day with visits to the Summit City cemetery and nearby White Rock Lk in one short final wrap up.

I think I know french lake. Never knew the name but you can drive out to an open ridge area before the roads are closed.

There is still one 4wd road that approaches Baltimore Lk trail that offers views of French Lk. I'm guessing that's what you saw, Craig.

What a great adventure Andy...beautiful pics...and yes, Phoenix Lake...a perfect name for it.

Back
Top Bottom