Hand pump for water - froze, need help.

shear

So we were driving back from Southern Utah today back to WY and over the course of the 9 hours the remaining water in the line and the hand pump itself froze. It's basically empty and before checking the hand pump I poured RV antifreeze first thing when we pulled in (it was 11F when we got home).

Should I be super worried about this? It's not a motorized pump, just the simple manual pump. Is there a way to unfreeze the pump so I can try and pump the antifreeze into the line?

Turn your furnace/ heater on, and open any doors that will allow heat to get to it. Then try to circulate a bit of AF. Kook things over when you get it thawed to make sure you didn't break the housing or lines. If it was empty, there's a good chance no harm was done.

That's a great idea, thanks! As soon as it gets above 0 here this AM I'll go outside and hopefully get it all sorted.

I also have a manual pump. I have had it freeze on numerous occasions because I don't turn on the heater when sleeping and it's very cold in the morning. I have found that once it warms up (using furnace), it will thaw out and work fine. Don't 'force' it to work while frozen. I also put foam insulation on the water supply lines and that works.

Chris

Do you "winterize" your pump when you're not using it? I read about putting RV antifreeze in the tank and pumping it into the line...but is this mostly for the water pumps and not manual ones? I'm just worried about the lines bursting.

Thanks!

Hi,
No, I do not "winterize" my camper, at least not with chemicals. I empty the water tank and lines and use bottles of water if camping in very cold winter.

fyi: I read where a couple of folks were putting winterizing fluids in their campers. So I went to my local very experienced RV supplies store and asked them what they might sell me to do this. They laughed and said they would sell me nothing. Just drain the system, they said and forget it. I have been doing this for 8 years here in Seattle with temps well below freezing and never had a problem.

Chris

My pump was cracked when I bought the camper. Around $20 from Amazon. Ten minute install. Not to worry.

Back
Top Bottom