Handheld GPS opinions? Help me pick one.

pods8

Contributors
GPS isn't my strong suit but I've been saying/wanting to get one for some time and cabelas is running some sales so its got my attention again. Good reception under cover is my main importance. Use would be hunting, hiking, etc. Not as concerned about driving with it. Which one would you pick and why? :unsure:

Garmin® GPSMAP 60CSx $199
Garmin® GPSMAP® 78 $299
DeLorme Earthmate® PN-40 GPS $299
Garmin® Dakota 20 GPS $350
Garmin® GPSMAP® 76CSx $399

I can't speak for the others, but I've had this one for a while now and love it. It's pretty fast, batteries last a long time (really long), color screen and the expandable memory leaves you with plenty of room. I'd recommend it.

For the past couple years my handheld GPS has been a Garmin Colorado 400t. I really like and recommend it. This particular model comes preloaded with topo maps and I've been very happy with them.

The interface on the Colorado units is sort of a love it or hate thing. I love it. Try one out in the store to see what you think.

I'm amazed at the antenna sensitivity. I can get a good fix in a few seconds inside my house with the nearest clear view to the sky 20 feet away. The Colorado also has a nice selection of accessories such as a clip to hang it on your belt loop and a very effective bracket for use in a vehicle. I use rechargeable batteries and battery life has not been an issue. I do use my GPS mostly in the truck running off a 12-volt power cord.

This is my second Garmin. My first was a GPS 4+ that I used for probably five years until it was destroyed in a whitewater kayak incident. I like Garmins a lot.

I have used a couple of other brands of GPS receiver and not found them nearly as user-friendly as Garmins.

I'm partial to the Delorme series of maps and GPS devices.

Their MS Windows based TOPO USA software is pretty cool. It includes topographic maps, at 20' contour level for all of North America and it synchronizes well with their handheld GPS units. With an annual subscription, you can download as many airial pictures, satellite pictures and USGS 7.5" quadrangles as you want. With those downloads you can either display them side-by-side on your PC with their topographic data, display only those down loads, or upload them to the GPS. Because the screen of the handheld is only about 1.5" X 2", you can only view either their topographic data, or the uploaded images.

Unfortunatley, they're expensive. I think the current offering starts around $600 for the software and handheld unit.

I have outdated units and the battery life is only about 2 hours of continuous use on a pair of AA batteries.

I'm partial to Garmin, too. I have the etrex Legend HCx. The interface is pretty easy to use and the battery life is decent. The expandable memory is a real plus for me. The map it comes with is useless, but there are good topo maps for free at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

DeLorme seems less interested in providing support for Mac users than Garmin. Otherwise, I would have considered a DeLorme.

I'm partial to Garmin, too. I have the etrex Legend HCx. The interface is pretty easy to use and the battery life is decent. The expandable memory is a real plus for me. The map it comes with is useless, but there are good topo maps for free at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

DeLorme seems less interested in providing support for Mac users than Garmin. Otherwise, I would have considered a DeLorme.

That looks like a nice link, thanks. I have a mac and a Garmin Astro 220 - Basically the 60cs with a tracking device you put on your dog so you know where the heck he is heading when he bolts after wildlife or out hunting. Could be used with a spouse as well :unsure:

I teach classes in land navigation This is what I own and use. This is a good price, probably close out as I hear they are coming out with a replacement model. I paid $389, at the time a great deal. This unit does everything I need.

I teach classes in land navigation This is what I own and use. This is a good price, probably close out as I hear they are coming out with a replacement model. I paid $389, at the time a great deal. This unit does everything I need.

Yeah its likely a close out but as long as there aren't issues with it that is fine with me.

That IS cool. Thanks. I've wondered something about my Garmin unit though: I bought a bunch of memory and the southwest maps. Then I downloaded ALL four states into my GPS, which took forever, like 2 days. There is still some room on the memory card, but if I try to add another map, like this one from that site, will it start all over and take another 2 days to update? Or will it just add the last map? I've been afraid to tinker before using it as I don't want to wait so long to reload all the maps.

That IS cool. Thanks. I've wondered something about my Garmin unit though: I bought a bunch of memory and the southwest maps. Then I downloaded ALL four states into my GPS, which took forever, like 2 days. There is still some room on the memory card, but if I try to add another map, like this one from that site, will it start all over and take another 2 days to update? Or will it just add the last map? I've been afraid to tinker before using it as I don't want to wait so long to reload all the maps.

It should just add the map. I added a trails overlay after I had installed some (non-Garmin) topo maps and had no problems. Please don't shoot me if it turns out I'm wrong, or your microSD card explodes
wink.gif

Better yet, get a cheap smaller card, and experiment with that before risking your southwest maps.

I don't use GPS and this brand isn't on your list, but I'd be partial to the any of the Magellan products. :D Couldn't be any worse than having DD lead you on a tour of Fort Bidwell.

It should just add the map. I added a trails overlay after I had installed some (non-Garmin) topo maps and had no problems. Please don't shoot me if it turns out I'm wrong, or your microSD card explodes
wink.gif

Better yet, get a cheap smaller card, and experiment with that before risking your southwest maps.

I'll try it after my next trip and report back. Thanks.

GPS isn't my strong suit but I've been saying/wanting to get one for some time and cabelas is running some sales so its got my attention again. Good reception under cover is my main importance. Use would be hunting, hiking, etc. Not as concerned about driving with it. Which one would you pick and why? :unsure:

Garmin® GPSMAP® 78 $299
DeLorme Earthmate® PN-40 GPS $299
Garmin® Dakota 20 GPS $350
Garmin® GPSMAP® 76CSx $399

Let's see, over the years, I've owned:
Garmin ETrex (The original)
Garmin ETrex Legend
Garmin 60CS
Garmin Oregon 400t
and now...
Delorme Earthmate PN-40

I have not used the Garmin 76CSx or the 78, so I won't comment on those.

Some random bullet points about the bunch:
- The ETrex units had the least sensitive antennas of the bunch (but still generally adequate)
- Garmin 60CS had the best antenna. I understand the CSx is even better.
- The Oregon 400t Touch Screen was a bit hard to read and seemed less user-friendly than the 60CS buttons (except when typing in cooridinates or names). Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with the user-friendliness of the unit, but loved the embedded topo maps.
- I switched to the DeLorme for the mapping capabilities. With that, I sacrificed a little screen size/quality and fit & finish of the gps device. I'm on a SAR team and having vector based topos, USGS topos, and satellite imagery all available on a 32GB SD card in my GPS is a huge plus. Though the DeLorme mapping software is a little more difficult to use, I find it much more capable than any Garmin software.

If you don't have the need for the DeLorme map library, I'd suggest sticking with the Garmin units. The ones you mention have similar features, but slightly different designs (buttons on the bottom/buttons on the top/touch screen). I'd recommend going to a store (is there an REI nearby?) where you can play with each of them and decide which you like best.

Have fun, and let us know what you end up with.

Adam

is there an REI nearby?

Haha, "I was going to say look at my location, what do you think?" But then realized when the software last updated my location dropped off the display, I'll update that. I'm in Everett, WA (30mi north of Seattle)... there are 3 in a 30mi radius. :p

Haha, "I was going to say look at my location, what do you think?" But then realized when the software last updated my location dropped off the display, I'll update that. I'm in Everett, WA (30mi north of Seattle)... there are 3 in a 30mi radius. :p

Haha! It didn't show that from the posting page and I didn't bother to check. :)

There's really no substitute for some hands-on time. Sounds like you've got a date with Garmin at REI.

Haha! It didn't show that from the posting page and I didn't bother to check. :)

There's really no substitute for some hands-on time. Sounds like you've got a date with Garmin at REI.

Ya I just added back on.

Actually I've got a date looking for some cow Elk hanging around the wrong ranchers land (for them anyways) this weekend. ;)

Probably hard to go wrong with a Garmin product. I've got a Map 76, an earlier & earlier version of the one you mentioned, an ETrex "Hummer", (basically an ETrex Vista), and a very old Magellan 315.

The Map 76 is nice for the big screen and memory. An added bonus is it floats, (don't ask how I know) and is compatible with Blue Water Charts. When they were made it targeted the nautical segment of the market as such has some features specific to that use, like tracks drift at anchor and so on. I have a dash mount for it and use it like a Tom Tom type unit. I can't comment on the newer models but if you really just want to mark waypoints and get from point A to B, the less expensive models will probably more than meet your needs.

For a lot of what I do the little ETrex type units work very well. They are small, (less screen to crack when you fall on it) hook easily to a pack strap and have enough antenna to stay locked on even in a case and have enough screen clarity that topo maps display well. If I'm patent either the 76 or ETrex will usually get to sub 10ft accuracy, even under moderate tree cover. One of them has an electronic compass, but I can usually use my old fashioned Silva and get on track before the GPS gets sync-ed. Both use AA batteries life is Ok with the 76 and good with the ETrex.

I know touch screens are all the rage but I X2 the comment above that they are hard to use. In my professional life I use GPS's and Data Loggers with touch screens out of doors and in a nut shell I think they suck, suck even more when the screen gets scratched and forget using one with gloves on. The really fancy stuff uses a stylus, also the first thing you lose.

Also as mentioned I X2 the idea to get your hands one one and try before you buy. In closing don't under estimate the power of a good paper map and good luck with your search. They're worth owning one.

i have had a gpsmap76s since they were released.

i like having the unit, and never leave home without it...but...

there are those times when the small monochrome screen just does not give enough detail when you have to make a decision.
do you still give up resolution with the color screens?

you really need to go and look at them. build a track by walking around the store. can you read it? could you follow it if needed?

the garmin topo software is o.k. but you cant cut/paste, cant update its maps and neither do they, and it wont route.

in the vehicle, when we have a decision to make, i use the laptop and usa photomaps with a pharos usb gps.

I ended up getting a delorme PN-40 ($216 on amazon right now FYI) and so far I'm happy playing around with it at home. Good price for the features and the fact it comes with full street maps and topos of a moderate caliber for the whole US, etc. Now to get it in the woods!

I depend on paper maps of all kinds to get where I'm going. Having come upon many lost and confused people on the road and in the woods depending only on GPS software, I am not impressed. Sometimes it's the people using the GPS who are in error but often it is the maps in the units.

I do carry an old Garmin foretrex 101--a watch-like GPS unit with no mapping--which I turn on if I want an accurate altitude or lat and long. Otherwise, it's an analog altimeter and paper maps.

Stew

Back
Top Bottom