Hangin' With The Celebs

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
The exclusive scoop-

Ted's email read, "We're going camping this weekend. What are your plans?"
Wow, could this be true? Fresh from their triumphant feature article Boondocking and we get an email............................

I am going to shamelessly build anticipation. We are just back and still a little giddy. Trip report underway here:

Hangin' With the Celebs

The report is now complete, please enjoy.

Typically we get out in our camper about twice a month. But an unfortunate streak of elder units taking bad falls and three funerals in the family kept us out of the camper for the last two months. So with life getting back to normal, we decided to head for the eastern Sierras. Not sure of conditions over there, we decided to contact someone highly knowledgeable about the area. A bonus was they had driven it recently on their way home from Death Valley so would have up to date visual knowledge of conditions. We lucked out and the Ski3pins agreed to join us.
For a quick weekend, it was a great trip. Lots of miles off pavement, a couple of old mines, distant electrical storms to entertain us all evening, and top notch boondock sites. We were so ready for a getaway like this and this weekend delivered. Since Ski was taking pictures more often than not, I didn't bother to get my camera out much. So like you, we'll just have to wait for his trip report.

Did he autograph your camper?

Was this camping with celebs like "dancing with the stars"?
Frank

No autograph on the camper but Ted did give the Lady a big hug. She said, "It was like heaven!"

Some people are a legend in their own mind. For reasons that escape me, I'm a legend in Ski3pin's mind.

As usual an entertaining, if not a bit imaginitive, reading with great photos. Thanks for the report, Ski.

Monte,
Gene Rubin said he saw you on 395 near Lone Pine. He was headed to Flowmotion in Bishop to play a gig with our friend Nina. And speaking of gigs if any of you were at the Cowboy festival in Santa Clarita last weekend you got a chance to see our buddy Phil Salazar with Cow Bop playing with the Quebe Sisters.

Yeah, might have been me, depending on which day it was.
I was in the Lone Pine area, transiting up to Bishop (and back), the slow way, plenty of stops along the way, sometimes on the old 395.

I do have a white Ranger, super cab with my white ATC Bobcat, sort of like Monte's.

Did Gene see the unit in question on the road or parked?

I saw at least 5 FWC's on Taco's, none of which were white, so, it couldn't have been any of those.

Ted & I enjoyed looking through the ruins of the Chemung Mine. There is a large mill and processing building. Many different pieces of machinery are present. It got us thinking about the process involved in extracting the gold from the milled ore. Ted sent me this link;
Gold Cyanidation

Ted said,"Remember the large tank that had a gear at the bottom? The pile of white substance. Both answered in the 'Application' section"

It is good to hang around with Ted.

Another enjoyable read. Thanks 3pinners...too bad about the jackasses. One might think you would escape that sort of thing out there...guess not.

Yeah, might have been me, depending on which day it was.
I was in the Lone Pine area, transiting up to Bishop (and back), the slow way, plenty of stops along the way, sometimes on the old 395.

I do have a white Ranger, super cab with my white ATC Bobcat, sort of like Monte's.

Did Gene see the unit in question on the road or parked?

I saw at least 5 FWC's on Taco's, none of which were white, so, it couldn't have been any of those.

Gene just said it was an ATC on a white Ranger.

Thanks for the nice report and photos, ski3pin -- you've got some fine ones there. :)

In my October eastern Sierra trip I drove a loop through the Bodie Hills (a day-drive explore from my friend's house in Bridgeport), overlapping some of your route, and I noted at the time that there were lots of opportunities for view-some dispersed camping -- places to return and camp in the future.
I think we're attracted to the same kind of campsites. :)

I'm a little surprised that no one commented on celeb Ted's Lagunitas beer. It appears to be a play on the NATO phonetic alphabet - the one I've always used - although "Wilco" is substituted for the proper "Whiskey". But, I suspect it would not be proper to have "Whiskey" on a beer bottle. Ted is drinking Lagunitas WTF beer.

I'm a little surprised that no one commented on celeb Ted's Lagunitas beer. It appears to be a play on the NATO phonetic alphabet - the one I've always used - although "Wilco" is substituted for the proper "Whiskey". But, I suspect it would not be proper to have "Whiskey" on a beer bottle. Ted is drinking Lagunitas WTF beer.

I noticed...but the "wilco" instead of "whiskey" confused me.
blink.gif

An IT guy at my company -- a Navy veteran-- used to shout "whiskey tango foxtrot!!" in exasperation a lot. (lots of opportunity for exasperation in the IT dept)
I don't know why he said it that way -- everyone else there used the full, unsanitized non-acronym version.
rolleyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom