Happy Half Ton

CPT Davenport

Just returned from a great trip boon docking on US Forest Service land. Hawk was fully loaded down with food, water, fuel and the tinny in tow. I wanted for nothing in the performance of the rig. Plenty of power up the grades and off road. Plenty of stopping power and she ran on the flat roads @ 65 mph getting 16 mpg. No sway, no roll and a luxury ride with the AC on in the 109 degree heat. Everything worked better than I anticipated. I honestly, intentionally "overloaded" for this trip, just to see what she could do. Super impressed with how nimble and responsive she performed for a 1/2 ton.

Managed to find some 16" browns on the Stanislaus river too!

Attachments

• IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 145
veryactivelife said:
Do you have any suspension mods?

Dean
Yes. I have super springs, air bags, a sway bar and Bilstein shocks all the way around and Toyo AT3 E rated tires. These modifications offer a very comfortable and confident driving and riding experience. I up graded brakes to Power Stop tow/haul. Also added oversized exhaust and a cold air intake system from K&N. When the trailering button is engaged the gearing is perfect for steep inclines as well as keeping me off the brakes so much on the down hill.

I'm just posting this as a real life reference to anyone on the fence about if a 1/2 ton can do the job with a loaded FWC. A stock 1500? I would say no way! With the right mods, then by all means go for it! I already owned this truck out right and she has only 30k on the odometer. After pricing a 3/4 or 1 ton, I decided to upgrade my 1500 and see how it went. So far I'm blown away with the performance and comfort, not to mention the mpg isn't that bad.

Cpt Davenport said:
Yes. I have super springs, air bags, a sway bar and Bilstein shocks all the way around and Toyo AT3 E rated tires. These modifications offer a very comfortable and confident driving and riding experience. I up graded brakes to Power Stop tow/haul. Also added oversized exhaust and a cold air intake system from K&N. When the trailering button is engaged the gearing is perfect for steep inclines as well as keeping me off the brakes so much on the down hill.

I'm just posting this as a real life reference to anyone on the fence about if a 1/2 ton can do the job with a loaded FWC. A stock 1500? I would say no way! With the right mods, then by all means go for it! I already owned this truck out right and she has only 30k on the odometer. After pricing a 3/4 or 1 ton, I decided to upgrade my 1500 and see how it went. So far I'm blown away with the performance and comfort, not to mention the mpg isn't that bad.
I figured you must have done some work in order to be so happy with the performance. Even my 2500 needed some help and now it's in for more goodies from Thuren Fab. Can you run a 3/4 stock, sure, but will you really be happy when you play hard.

Happy Trails

Dean

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom