Happy MOON DAY!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
In the same vein as ski3pin's noting the anniversary of the Apollo 11 launch, I want to commemorate the first landing and walking on the Moon, which happened 45 years ago today.
In my world I call this day, July 20th, "Moon Day".

(OK, the first steps on the surface were taken in the wee hours of July 21, GMT...but since the date was still July 20th in the time zone where I was and am -- as well as at Canaveral and Houston, that's the "official" date for as this anniversary)

I haven't thought about this for quite a while...but a number of times in years past I've looked up at the Moon and thought, "I know that humans have been up there...but to look at it and knowing how far it is and how inhospitable it is makes it seem like a dream that humans have actually been there."
With the human landings on the Moon now over 40 years in the past -- and nothing like it since -- it makes it seem even more dream-like. :oops:

Not sure what I'll do to celebrate the occasion...maybe take a walk on our planet: "I come in peace for all mankind".
:)

Interesting story about baseball and the moon landing.
In an interview about Gaylord Perry,it was asked if he would be a home run hitter. The answer was that a man would walk on the moon before he would hit one.
Well on the 20th of July 25 minuets after we walked on the moon,guess what he hit his first homer.
Happy moon day.
Frank

Growing up in that era was exciting. Nothing at all similar has happened since. We hung on every word about space exploration. We knew all the astronauts names. I remember the shock and disappointment at finding out it would not go on forever.

Happy moon day.

I celebrated by buying an air conditioner. While I can't say for sure I have the space program to thank it certainly accelerated technology in a dramatic way.

Its too bad we don't have anything like that going today. I can't recall anything else in my lifetime that so many watched all across the globe.

Oh -- one more Apollo-Moon thing I almost forgot about:

There's a 1989 documentary based on footage shot by the Apollo astronauts (and others): "For All Mankind".
It was broadcast on Turner Classic Movies 6 months ago, and at that time I snagged it on my DVR, but I never watched it.
In honor of Moon Day I'm watching it now! :),

craig333 said:
I celebrated by buying an air conditioner. While I can't say for sure I have the space program to thank it certainly accelerated technology in a dramatic way.

Its too bad we don't have anything like that going today. I can't recall anything else in my lifetime that so many watched all across the globe.
Probably the recent World Cup would qualify by viewership, but that just kind of makes your point.

I read somewhere that a single smart phone today has more computing power than all the computers that operated the moon shots, or something to that effect. Makes it all the more amazing. We don't do much useful with all the technology we have created.

As a 13 year-old rising 8th grader, I was all about nerdy science stuff and was therefore all over the television coverage of the moon mission and its precursors. I distinctly recall the broadcast of the landing was fairly late in the evening, Eastern time. I watched at my best friend's house where I was spending the night. About the time Armstrong was on the ladder, the image suddenly inverted for a few seconds, then righted. Walter Conkite said something like "I guess we had the world standing on its head for a moment", which is exactly what my friend and I, and his parents, had done.

Foy

takesiteasy said:
Probably the recent World Cup would qualify by viewership, but that just kind of makes your point.

I read somewhere that a single smart phone today has more computing power than all the computers that operated the moon shots, or something to that effect. Makes it all the more amazing. We don't do much useful with all the technology we have created.
And to think most of the math work was done on a "slide-rule".
You remember those don't you?
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Frank
Shoot, Frank. I still have my slide rule. I'm thinking of putting it in a glass fronted box with a little hammer attached and a sign that says "Break glass in case of battery failure".

Frank
I had a slide rule through high school, but got an electronic calculator as a freshman in college.

highz said:
Shoot, Frank. I still have my slide rule. I'm thinking of putting it in a glass fronted box with a little hammer attached and a sign that says "Break glass in case of battery failure".
That's a great idea Highz, but do you remember how to use it?
Frank

Frank
Another month goes by and I haven't used algebra yet.

I'm sure that I watched the Moon Walk, but I don't remember it. I was 5.

I have my grandfather's Teak & Ivory Slide Rule stashed away in it's hard case. I'm sure that I can figure out how to use it. My problem will be reading the numbers!

chnlisle said:
Another month goes by and I haven't used algebra yet.
ALGEBRA
If MarkBC is 58 and he plans to live to 100, how many more years does he have to last?

58 + x = 100
x = 100 - 58
x = 42

I use algebra all the time to figure out how much time I have left. ;)

Unfortunately, addition and subtraction -- like in the example above -- isn't something I can do on a regular slide rule -- I need to use an abacus.

And -- to get this back to the original topic: If I spent my golden years traveling at high speeds, like in space travel to and from the moon, I'd have more time left...at least, it would appear that way to my sedentary friends on the Earth. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom