Happy Winter Solstice and Happy New Year!

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Today is the big day for us during the holiday season - the Winter Solstice. This is the day we turn the corner and daylight begins to lengthen with the promise of a rebirth and a coming Spring!

Our best to all in the Wander the West family - Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year!

Celebrate and be kind to one another! :)

Winter Solstice and Cold Full Moon less than a day apart. Hoping for clear skies tonight and tomorrow.

Edit: got lucky!

2C3DFDF7-F659-4A66-BE23-75E8C129EF7B.jpeg

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. May our New Year's Resolution be for more camping nights and safe travel to all, The Dorrer's

Winter solstice: Still daytime in southeast Argentina when it's already nighttime in northwest Canada.
(even though western Canada is about 60° further west than eastern Argentina)

GOES16_abi_fullDisk_20181221_233032_band02.jpg

Duh, I know :p ... but I think it's cool to see what solstice means in terms of illumination via an actual photo of our planet on that day. :)

Woohoo!! It is time for the sun to return. Happy Solstice to you all and looking forward to another year of adventures.

MarkBC said:
Winter solstice: Still daytime in southeast Argentina when it's already nighttime in northwest Canada.
(even though western Canada is about 60° further west than eastern Argentina)

Duh, I know :p ... but I think it's cool to see what solstice means in terms of illumination via an actual photo of our planet on that day. :)
That's a cool pic and perspective. The good thing about these dark nights is that the snow cover makes it all nice and bright at night!

Vic Harder said:
That's a cool pic and perspective....
The link(s) to the satellite view(s) are on this post.

It would be better -- easier to understand why and what -- if the image was rotated so that the terminator (the day/night line) was vertical, like this:

IMG_20181221_210028.jpg

Rotated 23.5°, the Earth's tilt with respect to the plane of its orbit around the sun.

But aside from all this nerdy astro stuff...sure, like everybody else, I made a sacrifice to the gods today at the exact moment of solsticity: 2:23 pm PST.

Had a break from the rain tonight-one of those nice big white full type moons is showing some nice light on us poor humans! Snow later this week ---they say, but a happy solstice and Happy new :D year to all!

Smoke

Happy Winter Solstice to one and all.

We had the most unusual Winter Solstice here in the village of Hatteras on the Outer Banks of NC.....our neighbor's house caught fire and burned to the ground. The winds were over 30 mph and we were fortunate that our house which is only 30 feet away was unscathed....

I now know how you folks must have felt with all the wildfires raging out West. Stay safe everyone...

Sorry the picture is not rotated correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 65
smlobx said:
Happy Winter Solstice to one and all.

We had the most unusual Winter Solstice here in the village of Hatteras on the Outer Banks of NC.....our neighbor's house caught fire and burned to the ground. The winds were over 30 mph and we were fortunate that our house which is only 30 feet away was unscathed....

I now know how you folks must have felt with all the wildfires raging out West. Stay safe everyone...

Sorry the picture is not rotated correctly.
Very glad your house didn't get caught up in the flames.
Not a good way to start the holidays or anything else.
Stay save and have a great holiday.
Frank

Smokecreek1 said:
Had a break from the rain tonight-one of those nice big white full type moons is showing some nice light on us poor humans! Snow later this week ---they say, but a happy solstice and Happy new :D year to all!

Smoke
We had a great huge full moon this morning about 6:20.
I tried to get a photo but the trees to the west wouldn't let enough "moon" shine through.
It's a beautiful image in my mind.
Frank

Nice sunset! And happy Solstice everyone. Smlobx- sorry to hear about your neighbor's misfortune. Best wishes go out to you and them.

In between the rain and overcast we've had some nice sunsets lately. I had a better shot two minutes before this one but was on Highway 101 headed North, now you can just barely see the Sun setting behind the mountains West of Novato.

December Sunset - Novato.jpg

Back
Top Bottom