Hard sided campers only ! ?

Not certain about Colo. but out here I have questioned several USFS rangers and our FWC is considered a hard sided camper...think about it, the sides my Hawk are not soft material but framed aluminum siding...the low camper trailers with material side starting only a few feet from the ground could present a way in for a bear....if the bear on his/her hind legs can get to my popup material I am in the artic or on Kodiak Island...and I need to play nice! :cool:

The question was what is considered a soft side camper...as vulnerable as a FWC could be, it is not a soft side camper...

A bear, if it wants to, can get into most any hard sided camper. I recall a post by an FWC owner that had the door torn off by a bear. Same would be true for any hard sided camper. Our basic rule is to minimize odors. We are careful what we cook in bear country. Any food not in our fridge or packaged goes in the bear box. We dump garbage (if bear proof bins available) or store it in the bear box. We dump our grey water before going to bed. And bear spray is always in reach, especially at night.

I'm glad this was posted. I've been a bit too confident in my camper. I've seen what a bear can do first hand. First they get up on their hind legs and start pushing until something either caves-in or bends enough so they can get a claw in there and rip it off. That would be your rear door. They can figure out where the easy entry is. Now usually this happens when there is nobody in the camper. They even show up and scare everyone away and then go for the camper undeterred. It is more rare for them to break into a camper with people in it, but it can happen. "Problem" bears get extremely confident.

I am part owner of a company that has produced Bear Resistant Containers for over 20 years. I have personally tested containers with Bears in captivity.

The basic problem is humans leaving food out unattended as well as not properly storing food. Black bears in particular are very intelligent and can see in color. They are nimble and can solve simple problems, like how to pop open a car door to get at bightly colored box which looks like something they previously discovered contained something edible. They have a very god sense of smell and even if they can't see food they can smell it out and find it.

The basic rules are simple:

Never prepare, eat or bring food into a tent or tent trailer.

Do all of your cooking away from where you sleep.

Do not leave any food out and unattended.

Put all food away as soon as you are finished with your snacks and meals.

Do not leave food in your vehicle. (an exception may be the trunk or a camper) In several places, notably Yosemite, Black Bears have figured out that ice chests contain food so if they can see an ice chest or anything that looks like it in a vehicle there is a good chance they will break into the vehicle).

Kepp your campsite clean and minimize odors. Tightly reseal packages.

Use the Bear resistant storage lockers if they are available.

Note: When Bears break into a vehicle (or dwelling or whatever) they not only cause a lot of physical damage they also frequently drop smelly reminders of their visit.

Hey Phil

If a bear jumps on the hood of your truck, and then , lets see, jumps up on the roof of your truck cab, ....

Is your popped up FWC then a soft sided camper ?

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Hey Phil

If a bear jumps on the hood of your truck, and then , lets see, jumps up on the roof of your truck cab, ....

Is your popped up FWC then a soft sided camper ?

David Graves

Damn Dave you ask the tough questions! If what you describe happens it could indeed be a "sky is falling" event; but 'weight'! FWC roof is rated to 1,000lbs!

Two years ago when going into Canada with an RCMP certificate that allowed me to bring in a shotgun I spent 45 mins trying to explain to RCMP Bardal at border why I carried the shotgun...once inside the Hawk if a Griz decided to do a 'rip and enter' we would be trapped inside...bear spray inside a camper? Don't think so....12 ga slugs / 00 buck with dissuade the bear...RCMP said no need for shotgun since Canada has rangers to protect you from bear...Yah right! In the bush, dispersed camping ... no cell phone only InReach...

Phil

Back
Top Bottom