Hart Mountain & Steens Mountain, Oregon - July 2017

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
My list of places to go keeps getting longer when I read your trip reports. Thanks

Nice photos, 3pin. I found a structure marked on my topo that is four or five miles of dirt from the loop road. It is on the north rim of Little Blitzen Gorge. Is that perhaps the Old Nye Place? Do you know any history? Was it a line shack or a summer homestead?

Dudhghlas Stigeweard said:
Nice photos, 3pin. I found a structure marked on my topo that is four or five miles of dirt from the loop road. It is on the north rim of Little Blitzen Gorge. Is that perhaps the Old Nye Place? Do you know any history? Was it a line shack or a summer homestead?
Stew - you got it right! A steep switch back trail leads down to the Little Bitzen. We've done this with my cousin many years ago. Mr. Sage provided us history of the Nye Place. I'll allow him to fill us in.

Great TR's - love the background stories. How was the Steens Mtn Loop Road ? I was going to backpack the 3 Sisters Wilderness but the Whitewater Fire has me looking for something in Southeastern Or. Your TR has me inspired. Thanks!!

Great report so far. I especially enjoyed your day at Wildhorse lake. Memories of days like that keep you going on the days when you are wrapping your cast around your head.

Ronin said:
Great TR's - love the background stories. How was the Steens Mtn Loop Road ? I was going to backpack the 3 Sisters Wilderness but the Whitewater Fire has me looking for something in Southeastern Or. Your TR has me inspired. Thanks!!
The Loop Road is smooth and driveable by most vehicles. The Lady and I will someday backpack into both Little Blitzen and Big Indian Gorge. Little Blitzen is known for its fishing. Check the regulations through as I believe it is, appropriately, catch and release only.

Some information can be gleaned from this article -

Oregon Top Five: Best Hikes at Steens

Ski, Well done with the fly rod. I believe that author and fly fishing guru, John Gierlach would be bowing in your direction. Those kind of days don't happen very often. Enjoyed the trip report, but the cutthroat pictures were awesome. jd

Very nice report. Beautiful country, Fritz the wander dog..., shared times and solitude- what more could you ask for. Thanks for the care and effort you put into your reports, it is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom