Has anybody built a frame to set the camper on while camping?

b team

If I remember correctly you can't use the camper when it is off the truck unless the floor is supported.

Has anybody built a frame to set the camper on so you can take it off the truck while camping? I was thinking about some type of folding metal frame that can be carried on trips that would attach to the mechanical jacks.

I made a set of heavy duty saw horses out of scrap 2x6 for storing my camper. I have a set of heavy duty adjustable height folding metal sawhorses that I bought at Home Depot for about $50 each but although they can handle 1000 lbs per set, they aren't very stable. In my quest to find a better sawhorse, I came across these heavy duty horses. With a little thought, you could make your own version or just buy these but you'd probably need at least 3. http://www.nwfab.com/bullwork-main.htm

The other thing you might try is heavy duty pallet rack shelving. I bought a set for our maintenance garage that was 4' deep and 10' long and could support 5000 lbs. I know that this is overkill but it breaks down into 4 light weight peices. What is even better is that if you can find a supplier close to home, most of the industrial shelving manufacturer's will custom make whatever size you need for no extra charge, you'll just have to wait about 3-4weeks. If you bought a stocked set you'd have to cut the uprights down to the height you want. If you play your cards right you could get both uprights out of one piece saving you money.

Next up for bid is a simple wooden platform made of 3/4" plywood. Cut a sheet of 3/4" plywood in half. Next cut a notch 3/4" wide halfway down the center of each piece. Turn one panel over and slide the notches together to form an X. Two of these should be more than strong enough to support the camper floor (with the help of the camper jacks), be extremely stable while supporting the entire floor, inexpensive, break down for minimal storage, height adjustable (one time only) and self leveling. Keep in mind that the tighter the notches are, the better and stronger the fit will be. Over time the joints will loosen and the panels will need to be replaced but all you'll be out is the cost of 2 sheets of plywood.

Good luck!

We just put the camper on two jack stands and the hydraulic jacks that our camper came with. We work inside the camper every weekend with the new floor we put in. it is plenty sturdy.

Those hydraulic jacks are awesome. It makes it so easy to trasfer the camper off the truck.

frame

The easiest way to support the camper is to just take some 4x4 blocks with you. One under each corner and under the center of the floor will support it enough to walk in.

Back
Top Bottom